CVPC to new meter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Smartin684

Reaction score
I a buying a house that has the copper stolen out of it. This is going to be a rental and has the possiblility of being vacant for a few more months. I want to have CPVC put in to stop the thieves from screwing up the plumbing again. My plumber wants to install a 6 foot long 3/4" copper to connect beteen the meter (not yet installed by the water company) and the new CPVC. He says this is necessary for the meter to be properly hooked up.
I think this will just invite the copper thieves to mess up the plumbing again. Is there any reason why CPVC cannot be run directly to the water meter?

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I would take your plumber's advice, he is the pro. The thieves won't get much for that 6foot run of copper, not to say that won't stop them from trying.

I think you should outsmart them. If your CPVC is white then spray paint the copper white, if it's grey spray paint it gray.

I doubt a thief will examine the piping with a level of scrutiny that will reveal that small amount of copper for what it is. You can also hang a sign in the basement or door to the basement that advises them there is NO COPPER in this house and to move on.

Just my thoughts...I'm sure others will have their opinions.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Crackhead copper thieves will never cease to amaze you with the effort they put into stealing a piece of copper pipe.

If they put 1/4th the effort into doing productive honest work that they devote to being pond scum they would be valued members of society.

Bottom line If they want it they will take it all you can try to do is make it so difficult for them to take that they will consider it not worth taking! That's the tough thing their brains are so fried that their is no limit to what they will do to get another rock. Even if they have to work for a day and a half to get it. Good luck with your endevour. Consider keeping a pit bull, german shepard, rotwieller, or doberman at the house while vacant.

BurleyMike

Reaction score
As the price of scrap falls so will the demand to steal it. They could just pass a law that if you steal anything you get your fingers smashed.:D

Smartin684

Reaction score
Sounds like everyone here has seen their share of stupidy in theivery. Maybe I can surround the pipes with razor wire :) I guess its the best reason to switch to cpvc.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you considered using PEX to pipe the house. Far better than CPVC. As far as the meter hook-up, if this pipe will be underground, then use copper. Above ground perhaps schedule 80 PVC. By the way, scrap prices have dropped drastically. Not to say that a druggie still won't steal copper, but the demand is down.

Sixlashes

Plumber in Previous Life
Reaction score
Here in NW Florida, you now have to actually produce a fingerprint that the scrap dealer keeps on file. :D I don't know if it is statewide or not, but is a great idea. I guess this is to deter idiots and make is easier for law enforcement to convict the bolder idiots.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Around here, we are painting above ground RPZ's black, or some other color. Seems to deter some crooks. Apparently they assume that if they do not see the bare bronze valve, copper risers, that it must be iron???

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks