Cutting drain pipe for new shower

Users who are viewing this thread

fozzy12

Reaction score
When I had my house built, I had a plumber rough in the underfloor drains for a basement bathroom including a sewage crock. He left the pipes sticking out of the floor and capped. Now, I'm finishing the bathroom. The shower will be ceramic tile with a mud bed. I cut around the drain pipe in the shower with a diamond saw because the pipe is sticking up to far. I got the area around the pipe excavated down to where it needs to be. What method do the pros use to cut the pipe off below the floor so it's square? There isn't a lot of room in the hole, I only cut out a 6" square of concrete around the pipe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Eric

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They make inside pipe cutters, but they still take a little skill to get it nice and even...

For tiling help with the shower, check out www.johnbridge.com. If you haven't looked at it, consider using Kerdi from www.schluter.com. Personally, I really like the way that stuff performs and put in one for my mother using it.

fozzy12

Reaction score
cutting drain pipe

Jim,
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know they made inside pipe cutters. That would be the ticket if you had one. I have looked at Kerdi systems and they look really nice. I'm using hardie backer cement board for tile backer and I have looked at John Bridge.com. They have lots of good info out there. I wish there was a way for me to use the whole kerdi system but on this particular job, my drain is not in the center of the floor and the shower is odd sized, so I'm going the old fashioned way.

Eric

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Inside Pipecutter...
stuff a rag in the pipe to catch it if it falls out of the drill.
If you don't I guarantee it will fall out and go bouncing down the drain pipe where you can't get it!

internalpvccutter.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Kerdi can be installed equally well on a mudbed as it can on their preformed pans. One beauty of this is that you only need to do one layer, rather than two for a conventional shower. You just install the Kerdi to what would be the pre-slope of a conventional pan but you must have already installed the Kerdi drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks