(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 53

Thread: Ejector Pump Box with Air Admittance Valve (LONG)

  1. #31
    Plumber Cass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak199 View Post
    It is "Right". Maybe you don't agree with it, but the IRC allows AAV's and so does 45 other states in the nation. Sorry you live in the minority where it's considered "wrong". I don't live in Illinois.
    Bring the Studor Vent drawing to your local inspection office and ask them to approve it for use in your home...

  2. #32
    DIY Senior Member Master Brian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    368

    Default

    I really don't want to get in the middle of this, because I will admit, I am/was curious as to whether or not it would work.

    With that said, I'm not sure why you are still here taking this beating! You seem to have the answers as to how it works, which is what you say you wanted to know. So I question are you really trying to figure out how it works or change the plumbers minds?

    If you are trying to change their minds, give up. I actually respect these plumbers for saying, hey we don't believe in it, we aren't going to sell it! Especially after taking a 4hour continuing ed ethics course last night for my profession. They in my opinion are showing an ethical stand, that says hey, we don't believe it's right, so we can't/won't recommend it. Why sit there and argue with them about it. I wish more people had that stand!

  3. #33
    Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    Bring the Studor Vent drawing to your local inspection office and ask them to approve it for use in your home...
    Yes, have your local plumbing inspector , inspect your installation. Lets see if it gets approved. Awesome point there Cass.

    I was digging through a bunch of old books I have, came across a plumbing code book from 1917 for the state of Ohio. I just wanted to share the first few paragraphs with you all.

    Plumbing
    Definition
    Plumbing is the art of installing in buildings the pipes, fixtures and other apparatus for introducing the water supply and removing liquid and water-carried wastes. It must be installed in accordance with scientific principles and natural laws.

    Relation to Health
    The value of plumbing to public health is important because it removes human wastes from the immediate neighborhood of buildings. Plumbing also furnishes the opportunity for liberal consumption and use of pure wholesome water for drinking, bathing, culinary and other domestic purposes.

    Inferior Stops, Valves and Fixtures
    A cheap grade of stop and waste cocks, valves and fixtures often used in the installation is a false economy and expensive practice. inconvenience, annoyance, waste of water and continual repairs are the resulting penalties from this practice.

    Low First Cost Mistaken Economy
    A second class plumbing and drainage system in cost will prove itself a second class system. A year or so in service will reveal the inefficiency of the fixture, device or construction. Discomfort, inconvenience, cost of repairs, foul odors, insanitary and unhealthful conditions are the resulting penalties which the unfortunate occupant must pay.

  4. #34
    Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak199 View Post

    (1) AIR COMES IN through the ONE WAY AAV valve into the sealed pump box.
    (2) AIR EXITS the sealed pump box via the wet vent loop in the discharge line, which eventually connects to the main stack.
    If I recall you are not allowed to wet vent a ejector pump system. I will have to run to my truck and grab my code books.

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SewerRatz View Post
    If I recall you are not allowed to wet vent a ejector pump system. I will have to run to my truck and grab my code books.
    Grab all you like, because you're dead wrong. Here is the text of the post on the other forum by the IRC inspector:

    >The air can escape by way of the waste line into the sewer ejector.
    >
    >In other words by a code approved 'wet vent'.
    >
    >IRC 2003 P3113.4.1 states:

    >"Drainage piping below sewer level shall be vented in a similar manner to that of a gravity system."

    >IRC 2003 in P3114.3 further states regarding air admittance valves:
    >
    >"Indvidual vents, branch vents and stack vents shall be permitted to >terminate with a connection to an air admittance valve."

    >This includes sewage pumps and sewage ejectors other than pneumatic >types.

    Bring the Studor Vent drawing to your local inspection office and ask them to approve it for use in your home...
    Might do that. They're legal here.

  6. #36
    Master Plumber nhmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    S. Maine
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak199 View Post
    Grab all you like, because you're dead wrong. Here is the text of the post on the other forum by the IRC inspector:

    >The air can escape by way of the waste line into the sewer ejector.
    >
    >In other words by a code approved 'wet vent'.
    >
    >IRC 2003 P3113.4.1 states:

    >"Drainage piping below sewer level shall be vented in a similar manner to that of a gravity system."

    >IRC 2003 in P3114.3 further states regarding air admittance valves:
    >
    >"Indvidual vents, branch vents and stack vents shall be permitted to >terminate with a connection to an air admittance valve."

    >This includes sewage pumps and sewage ejectors other than pneumatic >types.



    Might do that. They're legal here.

    The code books are full of things that are legal. That does not make them right. Many things get overlooked or becuse someone at the review board had their hand out it got accepted. I explained how the loop vent is working. It doesn't take a genious to figure it out. It does clearly show that there is no true vent on the ejector system and in fact the studor vent is a total waste of time because it never does anything at all. Basically you are using the air space in the sewer main to vent the tank. As for your continual assertion and posting of the code pertaining to wet venting, only bathroom groups are allowed to be wet vented. Here's another bit of code that Individual and branch type air admittance valves shall be located a minimum of 4" above the horizontal branch drain or fixture drain being vented.

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
    in fact the studor vent is a total waste of time because it never does anything at all.
    Oh really? Then why does the AAV hiss after the tank has been emptied? Is that my imagination?

    Quote Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
    only bathroom groups are allowed to be wet vented.
    Not so. See figure P3109.2 of the IRC code, depicting a Laundry tub under "Wet Stack Venting".

    Quote Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
    Here's another bit of code that Individual and branch type air admittance valves shall be located a minimum of 4" above the horizontal branch drain or fixture drain being vented.
    My AAV is 6 FEET above the sink.

    Got anything else?

  8. #38
    DIY Junior Member sedin26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    17

    Default

    I read the forums daily, though I haven't actually bothered logging in with my username for about half a year, as I don't generally post. I thought it would be worth it to comment on this, though.

    I hope your setup works - it very well may work well for an extended period of time. Though I would not do it the way you have and I would definitely have my work inspected to make sure it was done properly, I don't begrudge you your freedom to set this up any way you want, as it appears that any failure would only affect you.

    Every month or so a poster comes in and asks a question, hoping to confirm that the hack job way they want to do something will work. When they are told by several licensed and experienced plumbers that it is not a good idea, they either do not post again or they get mad and make snarky and immature posts.

    You, I'm afraid, are the worst of the lot.

    I pity anyone who has to actually deal with you in person.

  9. #39
    Master Plumber Dunbar Plumbing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
    Posts
    2,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak199 View Post
    Oh really? Then why does the AAV hiss after the tank has been emptied? Is that my imagination?



    Not so. See figure P3109.2 of the IRC code, depicting a Laundry tub under "Wet Stack Venting".



    My AAV is 6 FEET above the sink.

    Got anything else?


    LEAVE.


    This post here was so telling of your demeanor that it was almost expected that moderators and licensed plumbers wouldn't get through your thick skull the reasons why you can't use that device.


    I know some normal people in Jersey and you're not normal. You've been given extremely helpful advice, you've ignored every single bit of it no matter what you find in your little pdf's. Kentucky is governed by NPC, same as New Jersey.


    I can see why they send idiots to you, you deserve it with your attitude.


    Quit wasting everyone's time here and put your plumbing in any way you want, I don't care if you die years later because that studor vent took on an excessive amount of activity and the mechanical part breaks, allowing sewer gases to enter the structure because you're too god damn cheap to do it right. $30 and it's done is your distorted mentality so I'll be the first master plumber on here to grant you full permission to do anything you want.

    I applaud the Plumbers in New Jersey for not dealing with your unbelievable ignorance when it comes to plumbing. You probably do a lot of other "wrong" things in your personal life and this cry for help on the internet isn't helping your objective to seek information.

    I've helped tons of people on the internet, but people like you deserve every hardship coming your way. There's no reward in dealing with the likes of you.

    The audience here will agree, LEAVE.
    Last edited by Dunbar Plumbing; 01-08-2009 at 02:39 PM.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

  10. #40
    Master Plumber Dunbar Plumbing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
    Posts
    2,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sedin26 View Post
    I read the forums daily, though I haven't actually bothered logging in with my username for about half a year, as I don't generally post. I thought it would be worth it to comment on this, though.

    I hope your setup works - it very well may work well for an extended period of time. Though I would not do it the way you have and I would definitely have my work inspected to make sure it was done properly, I don't begrudge you your freedom to set this up any way you want, as it appears that any failure would only affect you.

    Every month or so a poster comes in and asks a question, hoping to confirm that the hack job way they want to do something will work. When they are told by several licensed and experienced plumbers that it is not a good idea, they either do not post again or they get mad and make snarky and immature posts.

    You, I'm afraid, are the worst of the lot.

    I pity anyone who has to actually deal with you in person.




    Awesome post sedin26.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

  11. #41
    DIY Member littlebrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    62

    Default

    I have no plumbing experience and like Sedin26 I too read this forum daily and find it to be an fantastic source of reliable and accurate information. I came here because I don't know a single thing about plumbing and the plumbers and others on this site are ready and willing to give help and advice for free. I suspect that you came here initally because of your own lack of plumbing experience but now you just seem to be looking for an argument. You seem to forget that you were the one who came looking for advice, and now that that advice doesn't sit well with you, you've decided to take an combative stance to those who are trying to help.

    One thing you seem to not understand is that the plumbers on this forum are trying to tell you how to do something properly, in a way that will cause the least number of problems down the road. There may be lots of way to do a certain thing, but not all of them lead to the same desired results. Maybe what you do will work, and maybe it will fail in a week, month, or a year but at least the plumbers here are trying to advise you on a system that is PROVEN and reliable. If you don't like what you hear, then stay silent. Why bother to argue with people whose daily job is plumbing to code? Don't you have anything better to do? I myself have been told that some of my plumbing efforts aren't exactly how they would do it but I don't find the need to argue with their years of experience.

    Bottom line, if you want someones advice, take it gracefully even if you don't agree. If you don't like being told that you are wrong then don't ask questions on a forum like this where you'll find honest answers from professionals.

    I for one would like to thank Terry, the pros, and the DIY enthusiast on this forum for all the help they give to the modest homeowner.

  12. #42
    DIY Senior Member Nate R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by littlebrook View Post
    ....

    I for one would like to thank Terry, the pros, and the DIY enthusiast on this forum for all the help they give to the modest homeowner.
    Excellent post, and agreed. You are free to do whatever you want. Code isn't always best practice, and that's been pointed out here. You don't agree with the opinions from the Master Plumbers here. Fine. There's no reason you can't disagree with them. It is what it is.

  13. #43
    DIY Member Hillbilly Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wee-Todd-Id Valley, North Carolina
    Posts
    70

    Default

    I used to have a tin house on wheels that has them there air admittin valves.
    The thing was okay at first but after a while it just stank like poop.
    When the dang dawg knocked over the Crissmas tree onta a candle and burnt the dang trailer down the insurance cumpany gave us money fer a new trailer I made sure the new one had real vents. Now we don't gotta smell poop anymore.

    I suspect you are a poop sniffer! Come on admit it You like the smell of poop!
    Hillbilly Eng-in-ear
    Moonshine Maker
    Dumb as a Stump

  14. #44

    Default

    All I came here for was an explanation.

    What I got was a bunch of guys that wouldn't even take the time to look at something before dismissing it outright. Even when presented with evidence that the design was acceptable under IRC Code, they attacked the device, they attacked the manufacturer, they attacked the code body, and they attacked me for daring to question them.

    I'm sorry I mistook you folks for an open-minded group who would be interested in exploring new designs. But I should have known that when you whipped out the book from 1917.

    Take care, guys. I really don't belong here!

  15. #45
    Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak199 View Post
    All I came here for was an explanation.

    What I got was a bunch of guys that wouldn't even take the time to look at something before dismissing it outright. Even when presented with evidence that the design was acceptable under IRC Code, they attacked the device, they attacked the manufacturer, they attacked the code body, and they attacked me for daring to question them.

    I'm sorry I mistook you folks for an open-minded group who would be interested in exploring new designs. But I should have known that when you whipped out the book from 1917.

    Take care, guys. I really don't belong here!
    I bet this guy is a sales rep for Studer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •