Ejector Pump Box with Air Admittance Valve (LONG)

Users who are viewing this thread

Littlebrook

Reaction score
I have no plumbing experience and like Sedin26 I too read this forum daily and find it to be an fantastic source of reliable and accurate information. I came here because I don't know a single thing about plumbing and the plumbers and others on this site are ready and willing to give help and advice for free. I suspect that you came here initally because of your own lack of plumbing experience but now you just seem to be looking for an argument. You seem to forget that you were the one who came looking for advice, and now that that advice doesn't sit well with you, you've decided to take an combative stance to those who are trying to help.

One thing you seem to not understand is that the plumbers on this forum are trying to tell you how to do something properly, in a way that will cause the least number of problems down the road. There may be lots of way to do a certain thing, but not all of them lead to the same desired results. Maybe what you do will work, and maybe it will fail in a week, month, or a year but at least the plumbers here are trying to advise you on a system that is PROVEN and reliable. If you don't like what you hear, then stay silent. Why bother to argue with people whose daily job is plumbing to code? Don't you have anything better to do? I myself have been told that some of my plumbing efforts aren't exactly how they would do it but I don't find the need to argue with their years of experience.

Bottom line, if you want someones advice, take it gracefully even if you don't agree. If you don't like being told that you are wrong then don't ask questions on a forum like this where you'll find honest answers from professionals.

I for one would like to thank Terry, the pros, and the DIY enthusiast on this forum for all the help they give to the modest homeowner.

Nate R

Reaction score

I for one would like to thank Terry, the pros, and the DIY enthusiast on this forum for all the help they give to the modest homeowner.

Excellent post, and agreed. You are free to do whatever you want. Code isn't always best practice, and that's been pointed out here. You don't agree with the opinions from the Master Plumbers here. Fine. There's no reason you can't disagree with them. It is what it is.

Redwoodvotesoften1

Reaction score
I used to have a tin house on wheels that has them there air admittin valves.
The thing was okay at first but after a while it just stank like poop.
When the dang dawg knocked over the Crissmas tree onta a candle and burnt the dang trailer down the insurance cumpany gave us money fer a new trailer I made sure the new one had real vents. Now we don't gotta smell poop anymore.

I suspect you are a poop sniffer! Come on admit it You like the smell of poop!:D

ak199

Reaction score
All I came here for was an explanation.

What I got was a bunch of guys that wouldn't even take the time to look at something before dismissing it outright. Even when presented with evidence that the design was acceptable under IRC Code, they attacked the device, they attacked the manufacturer, they attacked the code body, and they attacked me for daring to question them.

I'm sorry I mistook you folks for an open-minded group who would be interested in exploring new designs. But I should have known that when you whipped out the book from 1917.

Take care, guys. I really don't belong here!

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net

What I got was a bunch of guys that wouldn't even take the time to look at something before dismissing it outright. Even when presented with evidence that the design was acceptable under IRC Code, they attacked the device, they attacked the manufacturer, they attacked the code body, and they attacked me for daring to question them.

I'm sorry I mistook you folks for an open-minded group who would be interested in exploring new designs. But I should have known that when you whipped out the book from 1917.

I bet this guy is a sales rep for Studer.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score

We looked at it carefully and very quickly determined that it was a hack method of plumbing!

The book from 1917 has a lot more wisdom than any book Studor ever has or ever will publish on how to use their hack devices.

We are open minded to good plumbing and never will be to hack plumbing.
Sorry ak199, it is you that is closed minded and you are right you don't belong here pushing hack methods on us. You are wasting your and our time...

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com

But,

You live in a state that's National Plumbing Code enforced,

Your local authority, where you live, down to the street address your house sits on, the plumbing inspector has the final say, not anything you find in print that gives you an excuse to use this device. Nothing matters but the local authority, as spelled out in countless codes across the United States.

Don't you find it rather awe inspiring that given your "local" hardships of dealing with bad plumbers in your state, sending you nin-com-poofs that didn't know anything,

that you'd come to a well known DIY/plumbing site that is notorious for giving great advice to help others in need, without pay or reward from anyone who comes here to use its worth,

and a rather large group of open minds explain to you in more ways than one that your implied thinking is not plausible. It's our profession, it's the case histories of those who tried your idea thinking they could shortcut the system's design all because there's a huge financial cost perspective against this really neat toy device that requires nothing but a threaded fitting to accept it.

Never once did you do the math on how much air movement a drain down of ANY pump produces when it is cycling, removing waste.

The bottom line is people like us are trying to protect you from people like yourself...because time rolls on, people sell homes, people don't understand plumbing to justify it out of an excerpt of a random code that allows a particular situation,

it malfunctions, it allows harmful sewer gases into a closed structure and people get sick, plain and simple and there's nothing you'll provide to this internet community that proves otherwise.

An active sewage ejector pump will wear a studor vent out rather quickly...and the what if enters the equation,

somebody put something in the basement that now requires maintenance.

You have limited knowledge on this, the ones who've participated in this thread have had their hands on the product numerous times, some weekly, and have been trained licensed in accordance with understanding these systems and how they work.

Years ago these studor/cheater/provents didn't exist in the way they do now.

You obviously have had difficulty in making your own decisions based on the fact that you seem so defiant to keep justifying its use, unless of course you are a representative for Studor.

But, lets stick to your first post; I think it represents you very well, with everyone else being wrong and you're right. :rolleyes:

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
The book from 1917 has a lot more wisdom than any book Studor ever has or ever will publish on how to use their hack devices.
When I found this book at a garage sale in a box of books that said free. I grabbed it right up along with other gems. I gave the old guy a saw buck for them anyways. I really like the older code books, they tell you what the code is and why they do it that way and the benefits.

ak199
Studer may of published a book on how to use their devices, what people fail to realize that book was made to help you decide to use their stuff. Its just a sales tool for them to get people hooked on their product. Lots of products came and gone that some codes allowed, for example bituminized fiber sewer pipe (a.k.a. Orangeburg pipe). They had publications showing how superior their product was, and many codes allowed it to be used. To everyones dismay the stuff was crap. It earned the nickname 20 year pipe around here due to the fact it disintegrated with in 20 years in most cases. So just because you have books and some codes that say its allowed still makes it second class plumbing and drainage system in cost, which will prove itself a second class system.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Here is a great book on plumbing that you can read at Googlr Books.
I kind of think of this book as the plumbers bible...
Standard Practical Plumbing By R. M. Starbuck 1910

OOOh Redwood, thank you. That is an awsome link. i love these old books so much. Just becareful ak199 might read that and start to preach that S-traps are allowed due to a 1910 Standard Pratical Plumbing guide book said it is so.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thats okay!
He might learn something about venting from it too!

sizing-4.jpg

This thread is kind of funny... that turned off all possible alternatives to the "Studor vent method"....
We might have told him a method of venting that probably would be approved without going all the way through the roof...
toilet.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

ak199

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanations. It was my local plumber who originally was going to install this AAV. I think I will try again to find a master plumber to come out and give me another venting option. Until now, the AAV will suffice as a temporary fix. I appreciate the help.

Peace!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks