(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Clawfoot tub-feet falling off

Default Clawfoot tub-feet falling off

Hi there:

My husband and I just added a bathroom upstairs. We took the old clawfoot tub from the downstairs bathroom upstairs, stripped and repainted the outside of it, and tried to set it up in the new bathroom. The problem is that we cannot get it balanced on the feet. There are no screws, bolts, or anything such on the feet or tub. There is just a sort of catch and then the weight is supposed to hold it. We moved it once before for a flooring issue and it was a little tricky to get back and balanced but we did it. Now we cannot seem to get it for anything and wonder if we just lucky. Is there a trick to these weight balanced tubs?

Thanks for any advice at all.

Angie

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

A flat and level floor...you may need some shims. Keep in mind also that the tub itself may weigh 300-400 pounds, then fill it with water and a person, and it could be closer to a half-ton. Your subflooring must be able to handle those point loads, or it might end up punching holes in the floor. It should be okay, but figure maybe 250# on a very small spot.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default Clawfoot feet falling off

Jim:

I don't think the floor's being flat or strong enough is the problem. When we gutted the space we added and sistered joists significantly, added new subfloor and tile. The floor should be plenty strong and very flat and even pretty level for an old house. We even had problems getting the front two feet to sit sturdy before we added the back two. Then it seemed sturdy but as we even wiggled it a little to make sure it was sturdy, something would settle and one or two feet would fall off. Do we just need to keep trying? I just wanted to see if anyone had advice about how these are just supposed to sit or anything?

Thanks.

Angie

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If the part on the tub is tapered, you may want to try to tap them onto that wedge to anchor them. Take a straight-edge and see if it is actually flat. It may not take much. The thing must sit level and on all 4-feet. Except on a perfectly level floor, 4-feet will rock and it doesn't take much.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default clawfoot feet falling off

Jim:

I think the little wedge is tapered. We will try tapping them in to see if it secures it just a little. That might do the trick-a little is all I think it will take. Will let you know but not tonight. We're done for the night here - it's after 8:30.

Thanks.

Angie

Default you can

tap the feet in towards the center of the tub-gently! make sure the are tight. in the old days they often used a coin under the foot so that the tub wouldn't rock.

Default legs

A lot of those legs used a square "cut nail" to secure them to the tub.