(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: MYSTERY PART - and it's LEAKING - please tell me what this is

Hybrid View

DIY Junior Member amateur_plumber's Avatar

Default MYSTERY PART - and it's LEAKING - please tell me what this is

Take a look at the picture below. The leaking/dripping part is the thing that juts out from the main pipe.

So help me out ....... what is this? Some kind of pressure release or something? Appears to be a brass fitting.

Is this an easy replace? Screw off old, screw on new?

Another issue -- I don't have a shutoff valve prior to this piece. The main shutoff for the house is located downstream - it's up past the top of the photo after the water gets past the pressure tank.

Also downstream from this point there is a drain valve that I can connect to a hose. Do I basically have to kill the electricity and drain the whole system in order to work at this area?

To help orient you - the water enters the house from the pipe in the lower left of the photo. Then it comes to this junction point - to the left is the pressure tank, to the right is mystery part. Continuing up past the top of the screen is the rest of the house plumbing.

Appreciate all your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It is a pressure release valve and I am guessing that it is rated for some where between 75 and 125 PSI...Watts makes them...

DIY Junior Member amateur_plumber's Avatar

Default Thanks - about the fix...

Cass, thanks!

Looks like I need the female version of that.

What about the fix - any solution here besides the complete draining of the system and flipping off the breaker switch supplying power to the pump?

It's the middle of winter here in CT and I'd rather not deal with garden hoses and finding a place outside to drain a huge amount of water (I don't have a basement drain - the big drain pipe exits my basement destined for the septic, at a level about six feet above the basement floor).

Let me know if there are any tricks....(wishful thinking perhaps)

How much water you would have to drain depends on how large your pressure tank is . If it's a common size bladder type tank you wouldn't have to drain more than 5-10 gallons . If that's your pressure gauge I see the bottom of , right above the pressure relief valve , looks like maybe it should be changed while you have things drained . A lot of residental pump/well systems don't have one of those relief valves , I know mine don't . If yours is threaded where it's leaking like the one in Cass's picture is maybe you could screw a plug in it for a temporary fix . DO NOT DO THAT UNLESS SOME OF THE MORE EXPERIENCED PEOPLE ON HERE TELL YOU IT'S OK . If it's been several years since any work has been done on the system , now might be a good time to have an experienced person come out & replace the relief valve , check the air charge in the pressure tank & possibly replace the gague & pressure switch . Every thing needs some maintenance now & then . I'm sure some pros will comment .

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment 99k's Avatar

You need that pressure relief valve ... it is code to protect you. Shutting off the breaker and draining the tank is a quick process. Buy the valve cass has recommended. My caution is that a certain amount of risk is present doing this repair in that you may damage the "cross" (that is the whole assembly) since most well water is corrosive and the torque to loosen this component may cause a failure. If you want to DIY, make sure you don't perform this at some bizzare hour since you may need to call in a plumber if things go wrong ... where in CT are you?

You never get to old to learn . As a retired electrician I have checked electrical problems with pumps , pressure switches & other well / pump equipment . I can't ever recall seeing a pressure relief valve on a tank tee . Reading these forums is entertaining & educational .