Drum Trap Relacement

Users who are viewing this thread

JB412

Reaction score
While replacing the old galvanized water pipes in a home I recently acquired, I ran into a corroded drain pipes on the bathtub. My solution was to remove the drain and replace with pvc. The house has (had) a drum trap which I removed along with the all of the attached metal pipes and plan to connect to some existing pvc. If you look at the attached picture you see the trap and piping before I removed it. My question is concerning the P-Trap I want to install under the bathtub. Again looking at the picture, the bathtub drain comes down a few inches to the left of what is visible and entered into the bottom of the Drum Trap. The drain then exited near the top of the drum, which is halfway up the floor joist. Any suggestions as to how to span that distance and height with a P-Trap to connect to the existing pvc without cutting out half of the joist or drilling through it?

Attachments

• Drum-Trap.jpg
    Drum-Trap.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,249

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Too much work for a DIYer. Best advice I can offer would be to give a plumber some business for the new year.

(Looks like a can of worms I wouldn't wish on you, is all.)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Actually that section of piping between the joists is "illegal" because it has created an "S" trap, and it will still be an "S" trap if you connect a "P" trap to it. The only legal way as far as not doing so is to run the PVC beneath the joists, but even then your distance is WAYYYYY too long to install without a vent.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you are beginning to learn is installing drains is a far more complex job than installing supply lines. You can make supply line go up and down, around corners, and/or through joists and although it make be considered a "hack" job, the end result is you'll have water. Drains have so much more to consider such as slope, vents, proper tees and elbows, pipe size, and because of size, you can't go through joists. I concur with the other writers that you would be well advised to engage a professional licensed plumber for this job. There are just too many things that you can do wrong. It is hard for us DIYers to admit when we have reached the limit of our abilities and that it is time to call in the pros.:D

JB412

Reaction score
Are there any restrictions regarding how far down from the bathtub I can go with a trap? I'm thinking if I remove more of the cast iron drain (vertical section) I could put in a wye and connect to it. That would give me plenty of slope but the tub trap would have to be below the joist.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are restrictions on how far the trap can extend as well as a long list of other restrictions and requirements. You're not going to get a complete plumbing course on this or any other forum. This forum is intended to help a DIYer with specific problems. Even the very highly qualified professional plumbers here can't tell you everything you need to know and do. If you insist on trying to hack this yourself, I can assure you it will be illegal, probably won't function properly and will never past code inspection. I'm sure you don't plan to pull a permit for this job, but when the time comes you want to sell the house, you will be required to completely redo the job before the house can be sold. I'm sorry if this seems to be tactless and mean spirited, but you don't seem to take our advise too well when presented in a gentler manner.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm gonna give you some advice here that I probably shouldn't but I doubt you're gonna get a permit and probably have no intention of hiring a plumber either so just put another pvc drum trap in it's place.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

No matter HOW you do it, without revisions, your line to the tub is going to be too long without an intermediate vent. The present installation is already incorrect because of the "S" trap configuration, and a new drum trap, if you could find one, would still be improper. You have a system which was installed by a handyman or DIYer, and now you need someone who KNOWS what he is doing to correct it. As Mr. Goodwrench says, "Pay me now or pay me later." You are at the "pay me later" stage.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Cheepo Deepot has drum traps right on the shelf. Might as well pick up an AAV and hack it the right way too :D

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
At my branch they are located next to these. :D

Attachments

• flexistock.jpg
    flexistock.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 619
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks