(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waterless Urinal, Fact and Fiction

Journeyman/Inspector Inspektor Ludwig's Avatar

Bellevue has always required that any waterless urinal has to first be approved by filling out an Alternative Methods form citing appendix L. Bellevue plumbing inspectors also required that a properly sized water line be ran and capped in the wall at the urinal "just in case, cause we know you're going to want to take them out". Bellevue Community College fought tooth and nail to get them approved and the plumbing inpsectors fought tooth and nail NOT to get them approved. The inspectors lost the politics but wouldn't you know....they have now removed them citing sanitary issues and too much maintenance. I hear that they want to add language to the 2009 UPC that says if a waterless urinal is used under apendix L, then a water line would have to be installed behind the wall. Don't know if it will make it in but I'll keep you posted.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hear that they want to add language to the 2009 UPC that says if a waterless urinal is used under appendix L, then a water line would have to be installed behind the wall.
    Have you been in them mens room at Bellevue Square near the Macy's entrance in the hallway?
    Almost unbearable smell from the Waterless Urinal.

I like the old Bellevue pictures in the hallway though.
    I worked at a bicycle shop back in the 60's where the current Macy's is.

Journeyman/Inspector Inspektor Ludwig's Avatar

Ugh,
    those things are just plain nasty! When I was an apprentice they managed to talk the company that I worked for into installing one, just to see how great it is. Well guess who had to snake the darn thing out every month? (shudder) yuk yuk yuk!

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inspektor Ludwig View Post
    Ugh,
    those things are just plain nasty! When I was an apprentice they managed to talk the company that I worked for into installing one, just to see how great it is. Well guess who had to snake the darn thing out every month? (shudder) yuk yuk yuk!
    Lol yep we've all been there!

I don't like the waterless urinals. We have them at only one place in Penticton here. They're constantly causing problems.

Sorry guys i need you help ...any one knows the law or code that rules the composition of the cartridge ??
    i have that great idea for the cartridge but i missing a lot of information ....thanks

typically the "cartridge" is a plastic bell trap that you fill with a chemical sealent.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    typically the "cartridge" is a plastic bell trap that you fill with a chemical sealent.
    yea but what i hear is that not need to be mechanical parts moving and need be a liquid sealant ....that used to be in the code of 2009 but that about to expire and my cartridge is not mechanicha but is not a liquid sealant also....but about the code im not sure

Name:  cartdrige.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  27.3 KB

Thumbs down Waterless Urinals Removal/ Report Assistance

In Feb 2010 I inherited 2 waterless urinals at the facility I maintain, after following the maintenance schedule daily, weekly and monthly; I came in one day to find one filled with urine, I spoke to my supervisor who decided to attempt to plunge the urinal free, we all know how this ended and who cleaned the floor. I found the 4 page booklet provided by Zeroflush and proceeded with the cartridge removal, OMG I’ve never smelt anything so vial in my life. Once the cartridge was completely removed there was no other alternative but to have the units snaked out by a licensed plumber…

Since installation in 2008 for only 2 waterless urinals our annual operating cost have far exceeded to cost of water… we have to snake the system every 3 months, and the cartridges cost over $ 100 dollars, an employee from Zeroflush suggested I soak the cartridges and re use them to save on cost.. You can imagine what my response was..

I’m preparing a report, to remove the waterless urinals based on operating cost, and the inherently smell that I cannot get rid of..

Any assistance would greatly be appreciated… To date this year our operation cost are $ 1747.66 Where is the savings? spend more time trying to get rid of the smell...

I P Knightly