Hybrid View

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Waterless Urinal, Fact and Fiction

Waterless Urinals
    Fact and Fiction
    November 2008
    Vince Marshall CEM, MBA

This technical bulletin is designed to answer questions and provide guidance regarding the viability of various types of waterless and low flow urinals currently on the market.

In the summer of 2006, Naval Station Norfolk Public Works Officer (PWO) Cdr. Chuck Smith Ret. requested a study of waterless urinals to determine if these products should be mandated on future NavFac construction projects. Waterless urinals qualify for LEED points and can help meet US Green Building certification criteria. Three different manufacturers were invited to install their products at no cost to the Navy for an extended evaluation. These are the results of that two year study.

For the full report
    Vince Marshall CEM, MBA
    Last edited by Terry; 05-30-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Terry. I have some photo's (somewhere) of the drains from waterlwss urinals that are all but solidly plugged after only 1 1/2 years in operation.

Blog Entries

nhmaster,
    I would love to see those. Adding them would be very helpful to others.

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking Nasty evil stuff......

Quote Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
    Terry. I have some photo's (somewhere) of the drains from waterlwss urinals that are all but solidly plugged after only 1 1/2 years in operation.

their is nothing more evil , wicked and nasty on
    gods green earth than a ......stopped up urinal...

nothing smells worse than yellow salt built up inside a pipe
    and grinding through that stuff is something I would not wish on a dog..........

I cant for the life of me undrstand why anyone would want to
    actually invite troubles like this into their buildings. with waterless stinkey urinals

my salesman is also telling me about troubles he is
    hearing about out in the feild......

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    full report
    Not a lot of meat here, unless I'm missing something. Downright disappointing in fact.

How the heck do these things work anyway? Do all the ones they tested work the same way?
    What is a "cartridge"? Why is there an issue about who replaces it?
    How *do* they have to be cleaned?
    How do the tested urinals compare? What factors lead to recommendation of the Falcon?
    What are the factors that lead them to finally recommend a low flow water one?
    How does the cost of the low flow one compare to the cost of the waterless ones?

Are any of these questions answered?

Quote Originally Posted by gardner View Post
    Not a lot of meat here, unless I'm missing something. Downright disappointing in fact. True. This document is not an engineering study, but one man's conclusion. Would love to see their hard data.

How the heck do these things work anyway? Do all the ones they tested work the same way?
    What is a "cartridge"? Waterless urinals use a chemical cartridge in lieu of a trap. The liquid in the cartridge seals the drain from sewer gas, and it's composition is such that urine drains through it.Why is there an issue about who replaces it? Navy Public Works is union shop, so the issue is does the janitor's union or the plumbers union get the job. I'm sure there was internal union political squabble involved!
    How *do* they have to be cleaned? Sides of urinal, inside and out, need to be wiped down often enough to minimize odor.
    How do the tested urinals compare? What factors lead to recommendation of the Falcon?
    How does the cost of the low flow one compare to the cost of the waterless ones?

Are any of these questions answered? NO!

The waterless debate rages on!

Blog Entries

From what I have been hearing, it's the clogged drain from salt.
    If anyone has pictures of the drain clogged with salt, I would love to see them.
    Adding water helps to keep the drain clear.
    Last edited by Terry; 01-06-2009 at 12:32 PM.

Did anybody notice that under the noted issues was
    • Splashing of urine on menís trousers during use

Nice. I'm sure that issue was appreciated by the men that used those.

I've seen a different method to this. On I-64 Westbound in Kentucky, there is a rest stop near the WV border and they have no flush urinals that use mineral oil in the trap to keep the sewer gases out. The problem is that some of that mineral oil gets on the tile floor. You gotta watch your step in there

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

I'm gonna go down there and bust my *** and collect a check! Yeah, power to the plumbah.

Urinals smell bad enough; those waterless urinals would eat out a copper DWV system in a year.

It's an idea that's losing steam by leaps and bounds.

You know darn right well that to "save money" and "budget cuts" that they'll leave them in there till they are all cheesed up and pure golden urine sits in the fixture, overflowing for the anxious worker who wants to keep his job. Have at it!

Maintenance of a flushing urinal is by far a better idea than one that needs cartridges installed periodically. They made an excellent point of the disposal of such product, since it is something that contains bodily fluids and isn't sent down the drain to be recycled.
    Last edited by Terry; 01-03-2009 at 04:45 PM.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.