This is a strange one to me,but maybe normal to plumbers

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY

Reaction score
Ever since I replaced my washer shut off valves on both the hot and cold sides.These new shut off valves are 1/4 turn with arrestors built into them out of the box.
Whether the valves are on or off they seem to have created an unusally loud noise of water flowing when the toilet is flushed and fills back up with water.(loud enough to be heard if you stand outside in the front yard with the front door closed) I am temted to try and track down some older type valves as used to be on the supply lines, for the washer. Thanks for all the replys and advice in advance!

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
non-expert opinion

I'm guessing that the toilet that now makes the strange sound is not serviced by the new cutoff valves. Is it possible that when you shut off your water supply to do the laundry cutoffs, that you dislodged some junk that has now traveled to your toilet fill valve?

While I love ball valves to pieces, the laundry is probably the one place I would not use them. This is because these valves are your only means to regulate the mixture going into the washer. I always find it takes some tweaking to get the temperature right and ball valves don't have the degree of control you need.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
While I love ball valves to pieces, the laundry is probably the one place I would not use them. This is because these valves are your only means to regulate the mixture going into the washer. I always find it takes some tweaking to get the temperature right and ball valves don't have the degree of control you need.

I think you need a new washing machine if you have to do this manually.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks