Replaced plumbing now odd problems

Users who are viewing this thread

ooounohu

Reaction score
Hi all, Thanks in advance for any advice.

I just finished replacing a lot of the pipe (a mix of copper and galvanized) in my home with PEX. The only piping that wasn't replaced was a bit of galvanized supplying two faucets in the basement, the copper from under the floor to the first floor kitchen sink and the copper from the basement to the 2nd floor bathroom. Also, everything in said bathroom is untouched.

Before the replacement everything in the basement had GREAT pressure except the washing machine (may just be the washing machine). The bathroom sink and toilet ran very good but the tub was always a little slow. The kitchen ran very slow, slower than the tub.

After the replacement the bathroom sink & toilet flows as well as before. Pressure at the tub and kitchen sink is nearly non-existent - worse than before the replacement - a very slow trickle if that. All outlets in the basement are still high pressure.

It is 3/4" PEX to 1/2" copper for the kitchen sink which should supply good pressure (correct?). I would have assumed that things would have at least stayed the same and not have become worse.

Any suggestions for my tub and kitchen sink?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ya dislodged som crap when you did the re-pipe and its got stuck in either the pipe or the faucets.

ooounohu

Reaction score
Thanks nhmaster,

I had thought the same thing but it doesn't seem like that would be the case with the kitchen sink since it is only about 3 or 4 feet of copper. I will try to figure out how to tear down the faucet and check but if there are any other ideas out there I am all ears.

Thanks again!

Msgale

Reaction score
aerator:

aerator catches the crap that is inevitable loosened up, remove it from sink and that may fix the problem

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
Did you take the aereator & screen assembly off the kitchen faucet & check for gunk ?

Last edited:

ooounohu

Reaction score
Yes, removed aerator and still no love. BUT good news! nhmaster hit the nail on the head.

I ended up removing the cartridge (? the guts) from the faucet knobs on the tub and that seems clear now. In detail, removed guts from hot side and ran cold wide open to reverse the flow on the hot side. Flip-flopped that configuration to reverse the flow on the cold side too. Lots of crap came out and now pressure is great.

Did the same for the sink and ended up getting a $20 faucet. I think this will clear things up.

Glad to see nOObs can still get help on the Internet without a lot of derogatory comments. Thanks for all the help!

wormtowndj

Reaction score
Thanks...saved me a lot of work

I recently bought a beautiful old house which hid numerous problems in most every system. Lack of funds make it impossible to address all but the most pressing issues. One bathroom had the hot and cold water lines reversed in all but the tub. I've lived with reversed faucet handles before, but when I discovered hot water was filling the toilet tank, I decided it had to be addressed.

I would not normally take on any plumbing jobs by myself, but I reasoned that I only needed to reroute PVC for 2 short sections. My self-satisfaction lasted only until I turned the water back on and discovered a big drop in water pressure to the sink and non-existent pressure to the toilet. I scratched my head for a while and was about ready to cut it all away and start over. But thankfully, I came upon this post.

I took off the screen and discovered the pressure was still there. After disassembling a few toilet parts, I'm back in business.

This is a heartfelt thank you. Every field wrestles with the issue of DIYers mucking things up (I'm a computer professional, so I've seen it all). Had it not been for your help, I would've stupidly made a big mess of things. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks