Don't Understand This Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
My kitchen faucet has a spout that swivels . There are two rubber o-rings that seals the spout . The faucet spout was leaking where it swivels so I took it apart & cleaned the o-rings , the grooves they fit in , & the inside of the spout . The o-rings fit tight in their grooves . I didn't use any type of cleaning product , just wiped everything clean with paper towels . I put everything back together & lubricated with Harvey's brand plumbers faucet & valve grease . The next day I noticed that the spout was hard to swivel back & forth . Today I took the spout back off & found the o-rings no longer fit tight in the grooves & actually drooped over the sides of the grooves . I plan to purchase new o-rings tomorrow & am at a loss as to what caused the o-rings to do this unless it was the grease . Has anyone else ever had a probem like this ? I'm afraid to use the grease on the new o-rings .

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
That Harvey's grease?

It was a grease with a petroleum base.

Probably light brown when applied, turns really dark brown over time. That is not supposed to be used for anything other than screw threads, or anything that does not come in contact with rubber components or water.

Need to use the food grade type, the kind that looks like silicone that never hardens, has no smell whatsoever. Much doesn't come in the container but I use it for practically everything these days.

That grease swelled those rubber O-rings out and destroyed them.

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
Thanks , figured it had to be the grease & I'll buy the correct type .

Just picked up the tube & reread the directions on the tube . It says , apply to stems of faucets , valves , ball cocks , plungers , packings and washers . Frees sticky faucets . Prevents rust . Use on hot water or steam to 350 degree F . Prevents pinching and allows easier installation of "0" rings .

Last edited:

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
You can also try any decent o-ring lube sold at swimming pool stores. I think Jacks Magic is one brand, should be petroleum free, silicone based. I use it for o-rings on my pool filter, and havent had one go bad yet even after 5 seasons of chlorine exposure.

Use it sparingly......I usually put a dab on the oring and then circle the oring thru my fingers to spread it.

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
I went to the local Ace Hardware this morning & picked up the o-rings I needed & 90 % silicone faucet grease . Cleaned the spout assembly real well & put everything back together . So far all is well with the faucet . Even though the Harvey's grease said to use it on o-rings I think Rugged is right & it messed the o-rings up . Only feasible explanation for what happened to the old o-rings . Thanks guys .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks