That Harvey's grease?
It was a grease with a petroleum base.
Probably light brown when applied, turns really dark brown over time. That is not supposed to be used for anything other than screw threads, or anything that does not come in contact with rubber components or water.
Need to use the food grade type, the kind that looks like silicone that never hardens, has no smell whatsoever. Much doesn't come in the container but I use it for practically everything these days.
That grease swelled those rubber O-rings out and destroyed them.