Toto Drake, 3 Points of Contact?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoelG

Reaction score
I'm ready to install my new Toto Drake (CST743 round) but I'm concerned that mine doesn't have the "Three Points of Contact" mentioned in the instructions. I did a dry run by installing the tank-to-bowl gasket and placing the tank on the bowl as if I were ready to screw things together. No only does the bowl not have any "contact" points, there is no way I can see how the tank is going to make any contact with the bowl other than with the gasket and 2 mounting bolts. It doesn't seem stable at this point.

Am I missing something or are the instructions wrong?

Last edited:

JoelG

Reaction score
No, I haven't screwed anything together yet. I was just concerned that my Toto does NOT have those 3 contact points mentioned in the instructions and it appears that even with very tight bolts the tank and bowl with not make any direct contact.

I'm hoping they've changed the construction and not the installation instructions and I won't have a problem with leaking. Either way, the way the tank attaches to the bowl doesn't seem very stable.

Thanks for you reply.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While it can be scarey, yes, you can tighten the bolts until the gasket is squashed and the tank nearly makes contact with the bowl. Just do it slowly and evenly side to side (i.e., don't tighten one side then go to the other - a turn or so on each side evenly until it is tight). You could put a piece of paper at the contact points and stop when it becomes hard to pull out. Porcelain isn't ductile, and you can't put any tension on it, but it is pretty strong.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The writer may have said "THREE" points, because it's almost impossible to have "FOUR" points of contact with out breaking something.

If you have ever ridden a tricycle, you will have noticed that the wheels meet the ground.
If you have four wheels, then most of the time, one wheel is in the air.
That's why cars have moving axles and springs.

We push the tank down with one arm, while tightening with the other.

JoelG

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The 3 points of contact which I could have sworn were not there became apparent once I screwed the tank down. All is well, 3 points making contact as per the installation manual, everything is very stable, and my new Toto is working fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks