old shower drain (circa 1975)

Users who are viewing this thread

tucsontiler

Reaction score
I am re-tiling my shower floor and will be building a shower pan. :eek:

The existing drain is topped by a metal flange (collar) that is 2" deep and 3.25" in diameter.

This metal flange is attached to the 2" diameter pvc drain pipe.

Before installing the new shower pan drain do I need to remove the metal flange and attach the new adjustable shower pan drain directly to the existing pvc drain pipe or do I leave the metal collar and size the replacement drain over the metal flange?

I have attached a picture of what I speak of....

thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is there a P trap under the concrete? If not, you will have to break out the concrete and install one.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you want to go with a conventional clamping drain for the shower, it looks like the threads in that piece are beyond help (to me at least); you'd need to replace it with a new drain. Now, if I was doing it, I'd build a shower with Kerdi from www.schluter.com, and for that you'd need to take that piece off, add some pvc (maybe) and then install the Kerdi drain which is available in either PVC or ABS, depending on what plastic pipe you have.

For tiling help, check out www.johnbridge.com.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
some of us were born considerably before 1975 and do not consider that to be any where near "old":mad:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks