washing maching drain

Users who are viewing this thread

parvinr

Reaction score
ok my washing machine dumps water to drain upstream from the kitchen sink and and then on the the hub where it empties into the main soil pipe i have shaked and snaked until im blue in the face. on a med. hot load in the washing machine with no clothes when it empties air is pushed up the sink drain now if i pull the j flex tube out of the washer drain just a little air comes from this location which leading me to believe the vent are stopped up or sized wrong it is 2'' cast pipe with 2'' vent at the sink and 1 !/2"" vent at the washer i have run snake down the vents and also stuck water hose in them also seems to be flow through both if i try to plug the sink off then the water backs up into laundry room behind washer what would you recommend

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just to be sure, drainage pipe is normally sized by the ID, not OD, so do you really have 2", or is it 1.5"? With today's washers, and codes, 2" is really necessary...1.5" won't cut it unless all of the good luck is on your side.

parvinr

Reaction score
id looks to be 2'' but still it should not be forcing air up my sink should it not be forcing the air up the vent?

parvinr

Reaction score
if i could i would make a drawing but i think what i will do is purchase 2'' pvc and take out the cast iron run a 2'' vent for washer and 2'' for the drain into the hub where the dumps to the main soil pipe and also run pvc from sink vent as i know it is 2'' and put in a sweeping t at the washer drain where the sink connects to this line or i could come off the pvc where it is frencoed at the 4'' connection and put the washer on a seperate drain by itself as there is 4'' pvc from the street to about 18'' under my house then it is coupled to the original cast iron

parvinr

Reaction score
narrowing it down

ok i tested kitchen sink vent by plugging it and filling sink it was draining slow if at all really could not tell went and took plug out of this vent and it drained fine so the only thing i can figure is the washing machine vent up throught the roof is not big enough 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 probably needs to be 2'' run snake down it after a load of clothes and pulled up soap suds on the end of snake this is telling me it does not appear to be stopped up thanks for all of your help

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Your line is restricted (semi-clogged) or too small.
You might want to have someone who is really good at snaking lines give it their attention...

parvinr

Reaction score
will do i think i know where the ristriction is but it is almost at the end where it hubs into the 4'' soil pipe they will be here wed thank you for your advice redwood

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
How are we suppose to know that when trying to help?

We already had a guy on here trying to hook up his clothes washing machine to the plumbing under his kitchen sink. Even stranger things have happened.

Both washers have flex hoses that discharge into the DWV system.

Just trying to clarify something.

BurleyMike

Reaction score
He says it is a clothes washer, line one on the OP, line two in the middle on the op, he talks about a load of clothes with hot water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks