Basement Pipe Chase Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Ewstan

Reaction score
Gents,

Last Fall as Tropical Storm Ivan was passing through PA, I heard the sound of running water behind the paneled wall in the basement. I pulled a section of paneling down and discovered a god awful mess. A steady stream of muddy water was flowing around the waste pipe where it exits the concrete wall. There was no apparent sealing around the pipe. From the amount of rotton wood and debris I found behind the paneling, the wall has been leaking for some time. The drain channel at the bottom of the wall was filled with mud and other crud.

The waste pipe exits the wall about three feet below grade, and under a two foot bump-out bay window. Apparently water falling off the bay window roof for 25 years had created a depression in the soil, hidden under ground cover and behind a hedge, which allowed pooling of water. The water then flows down between the soil and wall where it enters the basement through the pipe chase. I added a gutter to the bay window roof, but I'm still getting water around the pipe during heavy rain.

My plan is to remove the hedge and dig down to the pipe. After sealing around the pipe, I'll fill the hole and then increase the slope away from the house.

To get to the point of this post. What is the best way to seal around the pipe? Outside and inside.

Should I also consider some sort of "french drain" along that section of the basement wall?

Thanks,

Wray

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Most important is to divert the water, which sounds like you are doing. In a worse case it may require drainage under ground around the foundation. From what you are saying it would sound like diverting the surface water should resolve most of your problem.

I would use the cement as hj suggested, and would do it both inside and out. My suggestion would be to also, on the outside, cover it with an elastic coating that is used on foundations.

Paul

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The hydralic cement from both sides is the way to go. You will need some space to force the cement in, so chip some of the wall from around the pipe. You don't have to go all the way through, perhaps 1" away from the pipe and 1" deep. If this is ABS/PVC you will need to be a little careful so as not to damage the pipe when chipping the concrete.

As long as you will have the digging done, a French drain and sloping the ground might be a good idea, but if the walls are not leaking, just sealing around the pipe should be sufficient.

Ewstan

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

The wall is not leaking, just the chase. I'll use the hydraulic cement and elastic coating. The big chore will be getting the hedges and groundcover out so I can get the proper slope away from the wall.

Wray

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks