Water not running

Users who are viewing this thread

mjkrebs

Reaction score
I had turned off the water main to replace the seat and spring in my water faucet. I make the necessary replacements, and I turned the water back on... Voila - I have cold running water from my bathroom sink & shower - and the toilet finctions properly...

However, I no longer have cold running water in my kitchen sink OR the washing machine, OR even the basin sink in the laundry room (which the water main shut up is located UNDER the basin sink)...

I also don't have hot water anywhere... Can anyone explain why I have only cold water ONLY in the bathroom - and no water anywhere else in the house???

Just incase someone needs to know - I have a Rheem tankless water heater.

The stranger part is that I can leave ALL of my water nozzels OFF and in like an hour I will be able to go into the kitchen and turn on the faucet and it will run for 30 seconds or so and then just stop... (same with all of the otehr faucets from which I am not getting anything out of...)

Please help!?

Thanks!

Marcia

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like when you turned off the water some debris got moving and it is blocking the flow.

mjkrebs

Reaction score
If the flow is blocked, then why would it run for a few moments and then stop abruptly? I can turn of all faucets in the house and leave them for a while and then go back and I have water flow - for a little bit at least!

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
"Floating" debris moves with water movement back and forth within the pipes and open valves. Turning other faucets on can cause the water to move in the pipes, temporarily removing the clogging debris.
You have to dismantle the clogged faucets, lay a towel over them, turn the water pressure back on very briefly to flush out the debris.
Good Luck!
Mike

mjkrebs

Reaction score
Great sounds like fun... I love it when small projects grow and grow! LOL

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep! It's just another case of Murphy's Law. Things like that can happen to anyone, but we DIYers get it more often because we don't have the experience to foresee the potential problems. It's just a price we pay for trying to save money. :p

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Got a blockage and a little tiny hole that lets just enough water through to build pressure for a couple seconds.

mjkrebs

Reaction score
Okay, so I was able to dismantle my faucets and I do see some debris - I was able to pull out the debris from one of them using a pair of tweezers - but how would I get the debris out of the other ones - like the hot side of the shower faucet? I sure as heck am not gonna remove my brand new tile to get to it! LOL Although luckily the back side of the wall where the faucet is a piece of ugly wood paneling I plan on replacing eventually anyway... But again this mean that the project will grow yet again!

Is there a way to draw the debris towards one faucet or another??? I mean the laundry room sink would be the easiest faucet to actually pull the debris out of it like with the tweezers...

mjkrebs

Reaction score
Nevermind, it's finally working... Thanks for the info and help everyone!

Marcia

Sixlashes

Plumber in Previous Life
Reaction score
I'm convinced "Murphy" was a plumber. :D

That's why plumbers drive big trucks; to be prepared for that easy job that often goes south.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks