flange nightmare

Users who are viewing this thread

inge1982

Reaction score
I have a subfloor that is concerte and what a contractor did was cut the pvc pipe to the concerte floor and then glued a flange in why I don't know but the flange is resting on the concerte floor on one side and other side it doesn't sit flush to the concerte floor( about 1/4 to 1/2 inch above). Then they put down ceramic tile to the concerte floor right up to the flange, so now I have a flange that is level with the finished floor( in height) and the flange is not on top on the finished floor and also not anchored to the concerte. So my question's are does the flange need to be complete level on the subfloor? and if yes what do I have to do. The other question is it ok to have the flange even with the finished floor? And do I still have to anchor it to the concerte floor with bolts or is what the contractor did with the glue enough. If not what do I do. I would hate it if I have to tear out the tile around this flange to fix it. Do I have any other options.

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
non-expert opinion

Your flange doesn't have to be exactly level, but should be pretty close. My opinion is that 1/2 inch higher on one side than the other is too much. 1/4 might be borderline. 1/8 should be fine -- maybe experts would perhaps say different.

The flange should be secured to the floor, and 4 tapcon screws down into the slab would do just fine.

The flange can be used as-is if the top is flush with the finished floor. If you think it is too low, you can raise it up with a flange extender kit. The extender kit comes with various thickness extensions that you seal onto the existing flange.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
If your flange really is slanted 1/2" above the concrete, you had an amateur do the work for you. The reason I can say this is because I know they didn't use the proper fittings in the cement to make the toilet riser plumb, and because they didn't even bother to secure the flange. This is what happens when you have unqualified and inexperienced tradesmen do any sort of work for you.

The proper course of action is to smash up the concrete and have the riser set properly, tile around the pipe, and then glue in the flange so that it rests flat and so that it is secured on top of the finished floor like it's supposed to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks