Toto Drake, a question.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
I did a search and saw a reference to a leaking fill valve. Mine does that too, I havent tried the fix yet (pop the top off and run some water thru it to see if it needs cleaning), but its sorta related to my next question.....

What size should the "water spot" be? I notice in the bowl there is a "depression" line, and my water spot is about 1" below that line. I was wondering if maybe that line is actually supposed to be where the water spot is (because the spot seems a little low to me, but it could just be because Im used to cheaper toilets :) ).

Was also wondering if the water leaking from the fill valve into the tank instead of into the bowl could be a cause, or if its just unrelated.

-Chris

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The size of the water spot is determined by the internal structure of the toilet and there is nothing you can do to change it. I believe the Drake has a fairly large spot, others may agree or disagree. I have seen a good cross section drawing posted that illustrates just how this works, but if you understand how a P trap seals, just transfer that principal to a toilet.

Probedude

Reaction score
What size should the "water spot" be? I notice in the bowl there is a "depression" line, and my water spot is about 1" below that line. I was wondering if maybe that line is actually supposed to be where the water spot is (because the spot seems a little low to me, but it could just be because Im used to cheaper toilets :) ).

Do you have the Eco Drake or the regular Drake?

I own the Eco Drake and I'm with you - I believe the water spot should be where the depression is. If I intentionally overfill the bowl a bit, that's where the spot stops at.

With my Eco Drake, the spot is about 1/4 - 1/2" below that mark but there's still a powerful flush without needing to hold the handle down.

What is the level of the water in the tank portion? Perhaps that isn't high enough so the bowl is not filled enough.

What you can do to determine where the water spot level is is that you can SLOWLY pour water into the bowl area until the water no longer rises.

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Its not the Eco Drake, and the tank level comes up to a tad lower than 1/2" below the overflow tube. Spec says it should be exactly 1/2", I figure its close enough at this point. I suppose I could try to get a little more water into it and see how it does.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have the Korky style, the quick fix is a new cap.
www.terrylove.com/korky

The black tube needs to point into the overflow tube, that is what fills the bowl after a flush.

All of the valves will squirt some water out of the valve at the end of the cycle. That is part of the anti-siphon. That water winds up in the tank to be used on the next flush.

If a valve does not shut off, then it's the water that goes down the "overflow tube" that would be going down the drain.

Old (3.5) and (5.0) toilets would refill the bowl two times over.
I shot some video with the City of Seattle showing how much water would go down the drain on old toilets. The flush would be over, and the bowl would continue to have water slowly draining away. Must have wasted two gallons everytime.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks