Can I find it all in one toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Janes

Reaction score
I am rewallpapering a small bathroom and will have to remove the toilet to get to the wall behind. It is a chance to try a more efficient and water-saving toilet. Found this site and have been trying to find a Toto that meets all my wants.

There is a counter over the present toilet (somewhere in these pages referred to as a banjo counter) that is 30" high. Plumbers are not happy but have been able to work with the current American Standard two-piece that is 27.25" high with top, 25.75" with top off. Would like to go lower than that. No complaints about clogging.

The space is 30" wide, though the center of the toilet is 12.5" from the sink cabinet (to the left). The water pipe is on the floor 5" from the back wall, 7" from the sink cabinet. The bolts are 11.5 " from the back wall. Floor is tile.

So what I would like is a low toilet (probably non-ADA), elongated seat, not to have to get the Unifit adapter, one-piece, CEFIONTECT, maybe Eco toilet.

I am gathering that G Max is preferable to E Max. Cyclone would be ok too.

Re the toilet seat, when I went to a showroom and sat on one, the slanting inward was very uncomfortable. I see on the Toto site that there is an oval seat option. Is that more comfortable? Or can I put on a regular seat? I do not need the soft-close feature; in fact it sounds sort of creepy.

Just wondering if I am missing something in my research or if perhaps something new is coming soon.

Janes

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The CEFIONTECT version of the Ultramax would work fine for that.
It comes with the SS114 softclose, though any elongated seat will do.
The SS204 if a bit flatter.

Whether you go with E or G doesn't make that much difference.
If you think you need a bit more water, just hold the handle down longer. Done.

The CEFIONTECT is a nice finish. I try to use those myself when I'm not into trying something new.

Seats. For some, the first time they sit on a seat that has a curve, it may a surprise. I and others prefer them, not everyone does. Because I go back and forth, I find the flat ones annoying. But they still work. They all work.
What I do really like is the slow closing feature. But then I'm a guy, that gets asked to keep the seat down. If you are a guy. You must get the slow close seat, and it should be the elongated one. Don't let anyone talk you into a round seat. That just isn't right for a man.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything Terry said, esp. about getting an elongated bowl/seat, and absolutely yes, DO get the soft-close seat. It is a very nice option.

Why not get an ADA height toilet? It's about the height of a dining room chair. Unless someone using the toilet is very short, ADA is the way to go.

Janes

Reaction score
I don't necessarily object to the higher seat (since I am only replacing one toilet and my grandchildren can use the others), but my main concern is that the toilet fit underneath the counter. Most ADA toilets are too high to do that.
About the seat, the rule in our house is that you can leave the seat the way it ends up after you use it. The next person adjusts it to his/her preference.
Jane

The next person adjusts it to his/her preference.
And that's why men prefer the softclose seat.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
With the soft-close seat option, you can leave it up or put it down - but when you do put it down, you can't slam it accidentally, which makes it nice for homes with young children.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
IAbout the seat, the rule in our house is that you can leave the seat the way it ends up after you use it. The next person adjusts it to his/her preference.
Jane

When I was growing up, it was Mom vs. 3 boys + Dad. Mom's rule was leave it up, because if she found it down, she assumed ( usually correct) that one of us had pee'd on it!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jane, go to Terry's Report on Low Flow Toilets and as you scroll through the numerous Toto toilets, click on the "Specifications" link. There you will find the size information you are looking for. I think you will find there are several models of Totos that will fit under that shelf.

Janes

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I guess my question is really how much room between the shelf and the toilet does a plumber need in order to work on a Toto.
Should I post a new inquiry since no one may be reading this thread any more?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suspect that there will be enough space between the tank and the bottom of the shelf to access the fill valve and flapper which are the only things that will ever need working on. In the unlike case that it was too tight, it is a very quick and simple task to pull the toilet so that it can be moved out a few inches. It would necessitate a new wax ring if that was done, but not a big deal.

Zelskid

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
groups.yahoo.com
Many banjo tops have chrome tissue boxes set into them. The box is above the toilet. Removed. it allows you to replace the flapper or ballciok. There is no reason one couldn't be cut into a cultured marble top.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks