Special Tub Overflow part - What's it called?

Users who are viewing this thread

toedrag

Reaction score
First time poster, long time reader...bought and installed the Toto Ultra Max based on this forum. Love it. Anyways...

I'm working on remodeling our jack & jill bathroom, and when removing the tub, I found that our AC's primary condensate drain terminates at the tub-overflow.

I need to rebuild most of the waste piping in this area of the house, and I want to replace this piece. I need to know two things:
1. What is it called?
2. If you happen to find a link to buy online, pls send a link. Obviously, once I know the name, I can start a useful search.

Picture below:
IMG_4966.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Brit

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
wow, I have not seen one of them in ages. I do not think it was designed to have a condensate line draining off into it though. You know the bactera from your waste piping crawling up into your AC coils and breading then getting blown all about the house. The ones I seen had a plug installed in that part. I always thought it was some sort of clean out.

With a fast internet search only thing I can find close to what you have is a Filler -waste and overflow .. .which I would say WOW... that does not meet code. http://www.ukbathrooms.com/shop/bathroom_accessories/plugs_traps___wastes/bath/products/grohe_talentofill_bath_fill_system.html

Last edited:

toedrag

Reaction score
interesting. thx for the information. Good point about possible bacteria exposure. I'm considering re-routing the condensate drain somewhere else either because I can't find a replacement part or because the question around bacteria contamination bothers me too much.

I think I'll give my favorite local plumber a call to get his thoughts.

Since the house is a single story and the Air Handler is in the attic, I suppose if nothing else, I could probably just drop the pipe through the ceiling above the tub's drain and use the tub and it's drain as the indirect waste receptor. I've seen this done in some apartments, and it's not too pretty. But, I think it would work and meet code. My IPC 2006 code reference book seems to pretty light on this topic.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I too have never seen one of those...

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

I believe Sayco was the originator of that type of overflow. How is it any different, or more hazardous, than terminating the condensate in a lavatory branch tailpiece, which is the more common way?

branch-tailpiece-for-dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I believe Sayco was the originator of that type of overflow. How is it any different,or more hazardous, than terminating the condensate in a lavatory branch tailpiece, which is the more common way?

Around here the condensate is not allowed to be connected direct to the sanitary waste system, It is supposed to be an indirect waste with a minimum air gap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Here it does not have to be connected directly, it can even drain onto the ground in many cases, but it usually goes to a lavatory drain tailpiece.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks