Cleanout for Sewer Lateral

Users who are viewing this thread

happytraveler

Reaction score
I live in a townhouse which has the cleanout for the sewer lateral outside in front of the house. Recently the area surrounding my cleanout was re-paved with the result that rain/storm water flows into my cleanout (along with small debris that may be in the storm water). Before the re-paving this did not occur, but the re-paving resulted in a small stream of water flowing toward my clean-out and into it.

Is this a problem? Will this overload the sewer lateral or cause it to clog (from the debris)

I should also point out that I have a flat roof and the storm water from the roof flows into this same sewer lateral (roof drain is in the back of the house, so the roof water flows into a drain in the back of the house and goes through basement to sewer lateral in front of house and presumably (?) the pressure of this roof water would wash out any debris. Thanks for any help.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm missing something -- isn't the cleanout capped? How is rainwater/debris getting into the sewer?

happytraveler

Reaction score
There's a cover on it which is basically vented to allow air in but the vents are pretty big (3" by 1/2") and there are about 3 or 4 of them.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cleanout

A true cleanout is not "vented". If it were a vent it would have been elevated so water could not enter it. Sso you either do not have a cleanout or it is being used as a drain.

happytraveler

Reaction score
It was originally elevated but due to repaving (without removal of underlying pavement) it is no longer elevated. It is definitely a cleanout for the sewer lateral and it definitely does not have a solid top screwed on but one that is supposed to let in air.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I do suspect that it is a storm drain and not a sewer cleanout. A sewer cleanout cannot be open to the air. Most areas do not use house traps any more so your description does not make sense. You need to find out about this, becasue here in San Diego, at least , the fine for allowing storm drainage to flow into the sewer is like $1000 per gallon or something ridiculous likle that.

happytraveler

Reaction score
It is definitely a clean out. The water dept has been here in the past and said that. It definitely accesses the sewer lateral going from the main sewer line into my home.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
OK, I get the message. Now, we have to determine if it is supposed to be a vent, which I doubt, or if it should be capped. I suggest you contact a well-known contractor familiar with construction in your area to determine what should be done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks