Drilling into Granite Countertops

Users who are viewing this thread

Katonah Medic

Reaction score
Website
www.katonahreiki.com
Just replaced all appliances in the kitchen, and when installing a new under-the-counter dishwasher, the two tabs that secure the machine to the underside of the countertop does not line up to the old holes. This means I have to drill new holes to be able to use screws to secure the washer to the countertop.

My tops are granite.

Should/can I use a masonry bit to make pilot holes? I've seen granite cut with special wet blades.

Do I need to keep the bit wet?

Are there any special granite anchors? The old ones appear glued in.

Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't drill the granite, especially that close to the edge. Most dishwashers today come with alternate tabs, to secure to the side of the cabinet instead of the underside of the top.

HarleySilo

Reaction score
If you adjust the washer legs up all the way, how much clearence would you have between bottom of counter and top of washer? One could adhere a strip of cabinate material to be screwed into.

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
When stone countertops are installed, all joints are made with a 2-part expoxy. I'm sure a bracket fo some sort cold be fabricated easily and epoxied to the bottom of the countertop.

I've never seen this done, just brainstorming.

Katonah Medic

Reaction score
Website
www.katonahreiki.com
I thought about using the existing holes to run a bracket/plate to each tab. That may have to be the way to go.

I can't raise the washer any higher or the front door won't open.

The tabs are recessed about two inches from the edge. Is that still to close to drill?

I re-read the installation directions, and there are no other ways to secure the washer other than those tabs.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
call the installer

as others have already stated...

do not try to drill that granite, you will probably ruin it

call the people that installed it and they can send someone out who
knows what theyare doing and pay them to do it right.

something else I have done in the past is taken a peice of
1/2 x2 trim board the length of the dishwasher opening,
painted it the color of the granite, then used clear silicone
and glued it up across the front of the area

then once it was set, I screwed the dishwasher into the wood...

I had a fairley large gap to work with...

it looked pretty good.. probably still there today

Last edited:

HarleySilo

Reaction score
Here are some poor quality low light pics of what a couple of us are talking about.....a strip of wood glued into place.

Also when I wrote screw legs up that would increase the space between the top of washer and bottom of counter, just to be clear.

Taken from 5' off the ground a few feet from washer (you don't see it)

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Here's another solution. I'll admit it's slightly ghetto. This also depends on how much space you have left above the dish washer. Take a blanket or other space taker like card board and place it on top of the dishwasher. crank the dishwasher up as high as it will go. The compression will hold it in place. That is how mine is installed and I don't have any troubles at all.

Tom

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
I watch HGTV quite a bit & granite countertops & stainless steel appliances are all the rage . I sometimes wonder how long it will be before those expensive countertops & appliances will become ( dated ) & get thrown out in favor of the new rage .

HarleySilo

Reaction score
I watch HGTV quite a bit & granite countertops & stainless steel appliances are all the rage . I sometimes wonder how long it will be before those expensive countertops & appliances will become ( dated ) & get thrown out in favor of the new rage .

This is nothing new. Trends come and go. I painted our Kitchen Harvest Gold. Looks great. My parents hate it, reminds them of many years ago. They have a toilet and tub that would match LOL.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
If the granite craze dies down, then at least you still have a long lasting countertop.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks