Pantry to half bath Transformation

Users who are viewing this thread

HarleySilo

Reaction score
I’m turning my pantry into a half bath, and turning a laundry closet into a laundry closet/pantry.

In the half bath I’m ready to do the plumbing.

My house is a ranch with a full basement and an attic room with bath. Basement is unfinished with 90% of the plumbing exposed.

What I was planning on doing was using an AAV for this new sink, and then a 2” vent for the toilet. I was planning on running it straight up through the wall an into the attic and through the roof. I am also considering extending a 1.5“ vent line up through the wall and into the attic for the sink and then connect it horizontally to the toilet vent line.

Possible I could connect horizontally in the attic to the existing Washer dryer 2” vent? AAV seems easier for the sink. I’ll try and draw a diagram to clear up any confusion and post shortly.

Here is the tail end of the branch this is connecting too, this shows two drains for kitchen sink and the line to the laundry room and one hell of an awesome clock and light.

Here's the plumbing layout.

What I'm trying to determine is:

Will I cause any violations as to code? If so what…..

Am i doing something stupid or plain wrong?

Surely there is a better idea? What is it?

Last edited by a moderator:

HarleySilo

Reaction score
View from the kitchen of current Pantry (future 1/2 bath)

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

Last edited:

HarleySilo

Reaction score
I have a 2" vent that services the cloths washer drain. Then dishwasher and two sinks draining through 2 2" drains into the main 3". The both have a AAV.

Can I utilize the existing 2" roof vent for this new toilet and sink. I would have to pipe horizontal about 5' total to catch it.

What's the best order

Vent-Sink-toilet-to septic

or

Sink- Toilet-Vent- to septic

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
plumbing

You are trying to get a complete course in plumbing from a single online posting. It ain't going to happen. WE cannot read your drawing, and even if we could it tells us NOTHING about HOW you intend to install the piping, just WHERE you plan to put them. Why would you need the hinged wall to access the washer and dryer? Most homes have the connections in the wall and NEVER have to get to them.

HarleySilo

Reaction score
Hey one can hope right? You are correct I would like a complete course in plumbing, however I have no time to take one. At this point I really only need some opinions on the order as stated in the 2nd post.

Here is HOW i plan on running the plumbing...

You can see the sink plumbing in the middle, down stream to the right you see the new line tieing into the existing plumbing.

IMG_0748.jpg

In this photo you see the end of the new branch. The rest of the plumbing needs to go straight back toward the wall (red line).

IMG_0750-1.jpg

The books I have show many variations for 1/2 baths, just not the exact one I'm proposing.

HarleySilo

Reaction score
It will! There has been a lot of work to do in this house, and we've had a kid since we first moved in which delayed everything. I'm lucky to get a good 30mins. of work in on any given weeknight. Such is life.

So i was re-reading the first thread I posted about this topic (which got side tracked by the sink plumbing issues that were pointed out and then fixed) and found one answer....

"""
"The vents can be tied together six inches above the flood level of the fixtures. Most plumbers do this at 42" above the floor. "

Can this height be exceeded? Can I say tie the vents together in the attic?

Sure - that height accounts for the normal height of a sink and a buffer and is a minimum - higher is perfectly acceptable.

The books I have show a 3" sewer line for a toilet having a 2" vent line. Someone else wrote in the other thread "The tiolet needs a vent within six feet of the flange, which is a 3" or 4"" but they did not state if it was okay for the toilet to be the last fixture on a line.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The 42" is a minimum...it can be tied together anywhere higher...just make sure you keep proper pitch so it doesn't fill up with condensation or rainwater.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Is the toilet and vanity sitting in the bathroom for effect right now? There is no reason at this point to have either one of them installed.

Did you pull a permit for the work that you are doing?

You have plenty of room to do code compliant work but it will take more than 30 minute clips to get it done. What code is enforced in your municipality so we know what type of advice to offer?

HarleySilo

Reaction score
Just for effect. No pemit. Couldn't tell you what code is
Enforced, I can call the inspectors and I have in the past and ask, Cherokee county Georgia, what are some of the possible answer?

Toilet was to be vented with the 2" vent in the diagram.

HarleySilo

Reaction score
Get ready to laugh it up at my expense.

So the long line of plumbing that services my kitchen and laundry is so far away for the septic tank it looks as if all the fall the original plumbers could get was 1/4' per 4 feet. I've re-checked it with a four foot level and it's pretty consistent. This is not new information, I knew this already. Figured it's worked for 20 years.......

All the fall my dad and I could get when we added the new branch, visible in one of the pictures above, was 1/4" per 4 feet, because of the houses' main beam. Well I cut the cap off of that line last night and it was full of stuff. Stuff as in crap, no human crap but didn't smell very good.

So using a bucket and a hose I was able to squirt some water into the pipe and then gleefully watch it flow uphill with crap into the bucket. 3 bucket fulls later and the pipe was cleaned out.

I took the cleanout plug out which I had installed when I "fixed" the kitchen sink plumbing a year ago or more and that whole section of plumbing (which the clogged pipe runs into downstream of sink) looked okay. Not supper clean but only a little crap at the cleanout.

So per the diagram above, the plumbing spot I choose to introduce the new toliet line is level. That's right, level. Once the pipe was cleaned out I could watch as the sink drained and water would go down the main pipe and flow uphill into the new line. it just sits in there about 1/4 "
deep. I see how it filled up with crap. I think if the plumbing was finished and a toliet upstream in use regularly, it would have kept it clean. But since I'm not a plumber with years of experience I don't know and don't want to continue without assurance that it will indeed stay unclogged.

I'm worried without enough fall shit will just pile up. I called the electrician I use to finish my jobs and he gave me a builder (home renovator) number to talk to.

I wonder why it was installed originally in this manner. I'm finding a lot of cut corners in this home. It's very disappointing. The home inspector we used should be quartered.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Dude.

The only thing a plumber really needs to know is that crap runs downhill.;)

Epic failure.

Consult your electrician first next time. They are generally very smart. :cool:

HarleySilo

Reaction score
I had a plumber come over on Friday. We discussed the project. We decided to rerun the kitchen side houses' 3" main line from the septic tank exit back to where the new half bath will be. We were able to get 4-5" of additional fall by doing this. We also corrected the first stick of the other branch of plumbing, it was badly swayed down in the middle. What's all this "we" stuff, well he was able to come on Saturday to do the project and I was his helper to save myself a little money.

$1200 for material and his expertise. We ran 80' of 3" and 10' of 2" and misc. fittings etc. over 50' of the line was half full of crap. He said it was due to the original plumbing not having enough fall. We didn't make to much of a mess either. He showed up a 9:00 on the dot and we were done by 4, just enough time for him to get home and watch his Falcons game.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks