Hot and cold knobs reversed in shower stall - help!

Users who are viewing this thread

how2

Reaction score
The shower stall has the hot knob on the right and the cold knob on the left (forgive my lack of knowledge of lingo!) and it is my understanding that this is the opposite of how it should be. How much would it cost to correct something like this? If the shower stall is tiled, I am assuming tiles might be broken in the process and that pipes/wiring behind the wall would have to be corrected? Any ideas?:eek:

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
What's under the shower , crawl space , basement , or is this a 2nd floor shower ?

how2

Reaction score
it's a 2nd floor shower in a townhouse/condo. I do not believe there is an access panel since it would be on the outside in the corridor/hallway. This is why I think this is going to be a costly affair. Any idea how much it might be?

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
it's a 2nd floor shower in a townhouse/condo. I do not believe there is an access panel since it would be on the outside in the corridor/hallway. This is why I think this is going to be a costly affair. Any idea how much it might be?

As long as you don't have a problem with cutting a large piece of sheetrock in the hallway, you don't have a huge problem. In fact, if you take your time and cut it cleanly, it can be put back in place, fastened around the perimeter, taped and spackled, and things will be back to normal.

The larger the hole, the easier job it will be for the plumber who's got to work at the pipes inside.

How much? If he shows up to a cleanly cut hole and a drop cloth already there, it will probably be $200-$300, as long as it's basically a shut it off, cut it off, repipe it and solder it, done, sort of thing.

Especially if he has room to swing a small pipe cutter around the supplies.

Maybe less, maybe more. If Murphy smiles, you're jake..............

HE

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Cut the hole in the sheetrock, fix the problem and put an access door in for future repairs.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Why?

France has the hot/chaud on the right and cold/froid on the left, and they are not asking how to change their faucets. The users in Quebec would probably be right at home with the faucets reversed.

how2

Reaction score
on est pas en france ici...

Anyway, regarding the cutting of the drywall, this is a condo unit, so the wall to be cut would be outside my unit and in a corridor, meaning it is likely not my property to be cutting...ie permission issues. given this, I wanted to know how much would it cost to do the repair assuming you have no other option and have to go thru the tile within the shower to get to the pipes behind the hot/cold knobs...

I know this seems like a trivial issue to some. I need to know the cost because it impacts resale value.

Thanks all in advance!

Cookie

Reaction score
When my husband put in the bath he did the same thing. They are reversed in mine, and it doesn't matter to me, who says it has to be this way or that...
so maybe someone is french here... at least partly,

...(my grandmother was french) :D

I seriously wouldn't think it will hurt your resale value, that is my opinion. If they were like that when you bought it, did you get it any cheaper because of it then?

I don't think anyone can really give you an estimate of cost. There are going to be so many variables. If you really need to have one, I would call a plumber, pay for his time to come out, and then, take it from there.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Change the handles round!

The last thing a buyer will notice is this. That is to say, he will notice it but after he has bought the place.

I have only just dealt with all the gremlins in mine, half of which the home inspector missed.

But HIs are good for spotting the biggies.

Cookie

Reaction score
I know you are only kidding, but that wouldn't be a good thing to do, someone could get scalded.

how2

Reaction score
Change the handles round!

The last thing a buyer will notice is this. That is to say, he will notice it but after he has bought the place.

I have only just dealt with all the gremlins in mine, half of which the home inspector missed.

But HIs are good for spotting the biggies.

Yep, someone could get scalded if you switch the knobs but not the type of water that comes out of them!

1. I am the buyer
2. the home inspector did not miss this...

Cookie

Reaction score
I know this seems like a trivial issue to some. I need to know the cost because it impacts resale value.

Thanks all in advance!

Then, you really need to have a plumber come out, and tell you what he thinks it will cost. Your HI may not have missed it, but he wasn't able to give you a ballpark? ?

If you are looking to get the owner to lower the price because of it, then, you will have to have documentation from a plumber. I would say 2 plumbers. That will cost you for their time and their knowledge.

Without it, what are you bringing to the table?

Sometimes you got to bite the bullet.

Last edited:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Reversed water in shower

None of the above advice applies ! ! !

You are not allowed to touch the plumbing in the wall it belongs to the condo assoc, ! !
They are responsible to correct the problem because this is a construction
defect from when build

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You would be correct only if the condo was under the builders warrenty...in my state only the first year...after that it is the owners responsibility...unless the condo Assoc. has it written differently in the contract...

Cookie

Reaction score
You would be correct only if the condo was under the builders warrenty...in my state only the first year...after that it is the owners responsibility...unless the condo Assoc. has it written differently in the contract...

Yep. State to state it can differ and usually, at some point it becomes the owners responsibility for sure, think about it.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
piping

The condo association is only involved with "common" piping, such as drain lines in the walls serving multiple units. This piping is unique to this unit so it IS the homeowner's property. The hallway, however is association property so he would have to get permission to access through it. As far as the cost of reversing the valve, it would depend on what kind of piping, any access problems inside the wall, and whatever it cost to repair the tile. NONE of which we can tell from here, and maybe not even if we were there until the wall is opened.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Yep, someone could get scalded if you switch the knobs but not the type of water that comes out of them!

Then you may have another problem. The hot water should not be higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

Rumor has it that after the "plumber" attaches the hot water line to the (C) Caliente side of the valve he is not sure what to do with (H) Fria ?? side.

Temperature Time to Produce 2nd & 3rd Settings Degree Burns on Adult Skin

160°F (71°C)
About 1/2 second

150°F (66°C)
About 1-1/2 seconds

140°F (60°C)
Less than 5 seconds

130°F (54°C)
About 30 seconds

120°F (49°C)
More than 5 minutes

80°F (27°C)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks