(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Special Tub Overflow part - What's it called?

DIY Junior Member

Default Special Tub Overflow part - What's it called?

First time poster, long time reader...bought and installed the Toto Ultra Max based on this forum. Love it. Anyways...

I'm working on remodeling our jack & jill bathroom, and when removing the tub, I found that our AC's primary condensate drain terminates at the tub-overflow.

I need to rebuild most of the waste piping in this area of the house, and I want to replace this piece. I need to know two things:
    1. What is it called?
    2. If you happen to find a link to buy online, pls send a link. Obviously, once I know the name, I can start a useful search.

Picture below:
    Name:  IMG_4966.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  52.3 KB

Thanks in advance.
    Brit

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

wow, I have not seen one of them in ages. I do not think it was designed to have a condensate line draining off into it though. You know the bactera from your waste piping crawling up into your AC coils and breading then getting blown all about the house. The ones I seen had a plug installed in that part. I always thought it was some sort of clean out.

With a fast internet search only thing I can find close to what you have is a Filler -waste and overflow .. .which I would say WOW... that does not meet code. http://www.ukbathrooms.com/shop/bath...ll_system.html
    Last edited by SewerRatz; 12-31-2008 at 05:03 PM.

DIY Junior Member

interesting. thx for the information. Good point about possible bacteria exposure. I'm considering re-routing the condensate drain somewhere else either because I can't find a replacement part or because the question around bacteria contamination bothers me too much.

I think I'll give my favorite local plumber a call to get his thoughts.

Since the house is a single story and the Air Handler is in the attic, I suppose if nothing else, I could probably just drop the pipe through the ceiling above the tub's drain and use the tub and it's drain as the indirect waste receptor. I've seen this done in some apartments, and it's not too pretty. But, I think it would work and meet code. My IPC 2006 code reference book seems to pretty light on this topic.

I too have never seen one of those...
    Last edited by Cass; 01-01-2009 at 06:46 PM.

Default drain

I believe Sayco was the originator of that type of overflow. How is it any different,or more hazardous, than terminating the condensate in a lavatory branch tailpiece, which is the more common way?

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    I believe Sayco was the originator of that type of overflow. How is it any different,or more hazardous, than terminating the condensate in a lavatory branch tailpiece, which is the more common way?
    Around here the condensate is not allowed to be connected direct to the sanitary waste system, It is supposed to be an indirect waste with a minimum air gap.

Default drain

Here it does not have to be connected directly, it can even drain onto the ground in many cases, but it usually goes to a lavatory drain tailpiece.

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    How is it any different,or more hazardous, than terminating the condensate in a lavatory branch tailpiece, which is the more common way?
    You raise an interesting point.