General Water Pressure Question

Users who are viewing this thread

rcfunk

Reaction score
I have a Well-X-Trol WX-202 and a Square D 9013FSG 30/50 switch. Basically what is happening is the pump will click and cut on properly when pressure gague hits 30psi on the switch, but when water is being used in the house, the pressure continues to dip to around 20psi. The pressure slowwwwwly builds back up (within a few minutes) and when no water is being used it eventually hits back up to 50psi when it clicks signalling the cut off of the pump. Is this normal? Can this be adjusted or is this something with my pump or something else? I'm not sure what type of pump I have.

Thanks

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
It could be several things;
1. Your pump cannot provide adequate pressure.
2. You have a leak in the pipe between the pump and the pressure tank allowing the line to drain between your pump and house when the pump is off. This would account for your psi dropping to 20 before recovering and the slow recovery.
3. The foot valve on your pump is failing, allowing the water to drain back out of the line between you house and the pump. This would also account for your psi dropping to 20 before recovering and the slow recovery.

#2 and #3 are easily masked by having a backflow preventer before your pressure tank. If you have one, remove it. You don't need it. If there is a leak because of #2 or #3 the pressure reading at the pressure tank will start dropping even with all the water in the house shut off.

How old and what type of pump? Is this a drilled well? How deep?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Drick is giving you good information. If you have a check valve above ground, remove it. This will help you determine if you have a leak in the incoming pipe. As drick says, if you have a leak, the pressure will then continue to drop even when no water is being used.

If you don't have a leak, then either your pump is worn out, or your well is not producing enough water.

Speedbump

Reaction score
It's important for us to know what kind of pump you have before making a decision on the plan for a fix.

Is it a Submersible pump in the well, or a Jet pump above ground in a crawl space, basement or well pit? If you don't know, ask a neighbor or a friend who is handy with these sort of things.

bob...

rcfunk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, you guys are a great resource.

As far as the pump, I know it is a submersible pump in the well. I found what looks to be some kind of control box on the basement wall (the power cables connect to the switch) that says Jacuzzi Submersible Pump Model 5S4B-S2 / A. As far as well, I dont know much...not even sure exact location or depth.

Here is more data from the pump control box:
HP 1/2 Volt 230 Cycle 60 Phase 1
Amp 63 SF 1.6 SF AMP 6.8 RPM 3450

Motor Model Number 2141550100 HP 1/2 Volts 230

Does that help? Any suggestions?

Speedbump

Reaction score
It sounds like the sub is wearing out or you have a leak somewhere. Like Valveman said, if you have a check valve remove it. Then if it's a leak the pump will start cycling on and off constantly.

bob...

rcfunk

Reaction score
Ok, I'm not real sure if there is a check valve, but if it is where I can see it, it would be between the pipe from the outside and the switch box. I may be able to attach a picture if that would help.

If not, maybe I'll call the place who installed the pump, but I'm sure they'll charge me a good fee for coming to check it.

rcfunk

Reaction score
Ok, here is my setup... let me know what you think.
The main line is coming in on the right side of the pic.
The pressue gauge is reading 46-47psi or so with no water being used at that time in the house.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• P1010396 (Large).jpg
    P1010396 (Large).jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 410
  • P1010396_close (Large).jpg
    P1010396_close (Large).jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 391

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I do not see a check valve in that picture. There could still be one in the line somewhere but, if not, and your pressure stays steady while the pump is off and no one is using water, then you probably do not have a leak. I am know guessing that the intake screen on your pump is clogged, or your pump is worn down. Can you disconnect the pipe at the well and do a pump test? If it doesn't pump enough volume, then your pump screen is probably clogged up.

rcfunk

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm not even sure where the line is that goes down to the submersed pump. The previous home owner didn't mark the pump location on the ground. I may have to try to contact them.

I'm probably going to have to have someon come take a look at it eventually since I'm not sure about doing the pump test.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Your PE pipe coming in from the well looks like 3/4" or, 1" reduced to 3/4" at the funny type elbow on the floor before it connects to 3/4" copper and then connected to the tank tee that is both 1" or 3/4". You should have 1" minimum from the submersible pump to the tank tee; most submersible pumps have a 1.25" outlet and reducing to 3/4" isn't a good idea. Those elbows are usually used on frost free hydrants where I'm from, and full flow (rounded internally) normal sch 80 PVC or brass barbed/insert are used where needed.

You don't get near the water flow out of 3/4" that you get from 1" pipe and I don't think that's good for a pump.

It sounds as if your well is buried, you may be able to find it with a metal detector straight out from the line going through the cellar wall.

rcfunk

Reaction score
Thanks, I went and checked, the skinniest point of pipe in the pic (almost mid way between the bottom elbow and the T pipe going to pressue tank) measures 1 inch exactly.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
But 3/4" copper measures 7/8" OD, which you are reading as 1" right? The tank tee is internally 3/4" and you have a 3/4" MPT adapter screwed into it, or 1" external and I can see the 1" threads aren't being used. So you have 3/4" copper between the black pipe and the brass tank tee.

The black pipe will be marked 3/4" or 1" every couple feet.

rcfunk

Reaction score
I see what you are saying.... thanks.... then I have 3/4" pipe going out the wall to the well. Don't think I'll be able to change that at this point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks