Cleanout vent blues

Users who are viewing this thread

palvarez

Reaction score
I wasn't able to find a thread similar to my problem, so here goes:

I have an incredibly slow kitchen sink drain.
I discovered it also had leaking pipes and after expert opinion, I was told the slow drain would go back to normal. After 400 dollars, the first days were fine, but I soon noticed that any large amount of water down the drain would come up again. By a large amount of water, I mean at least 2 pitcher fulls. Frustrated, I opened the cleanout vent and the water came out gushing. I flushed it with a hose and out came rice and grapefruit particles. I guess there must have been an obstruction.

I closed the vent again, but noticed that the sink still gets flooded. I have to keep the cleanout vent open. in order to not have any water flow up again. I can't have whatever my wife cleans in her sink washing up on my driveway. What can I do myself before i have to go back to the 400 dollar plumbers.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Your drain needs to be cleaned out with a drain cleaning machine. I honestly can not in good conscious tell you to rent a rodding machine to clear it due to the dangers these machines are in untrained hands. I seen to many people hurt by a sewer breaking, and or wrapping around their limbs. So my only advice is to call a plumber to have it cleaned properly.

Maybe some of the other guys here can help you with the proper and safe operation of a drain cleaning machine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Either call the $400.00 plumber back and have him do the job right, or call a $100.00+ plumber who knows what he is doing. Since you have a cleanout in the wall, it should NEVER have cost $400.00 in the first place, unless he did more than just snake the drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks