(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2yr old well pumping cloudy water from day 1

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment 99k's Avatar

It almost sounds proprietary

Sammy, if I told you you'd find something to disagree with, so keep using them and you probably will find out fairly soon what problems they cause.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Ha! So what about the wire guide protecting the pump?

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Previous member

I must be naive, cause I've never used either. I don't even know what a wire guide is. There is a wire guard that goes on the pump end. It comes with every submersible pump. In my opinion, it's the only guard of any kind needed in a well.

Everything you add to a string of pipe that is not absolutely necessary is just another thing to cause problems. I have always taped my splice to the pipe above the pump then about 1' below every joint at either 21' (for many years with galvanized pipe) and now that we are using SCH 80, my son does the same thing every 20 feet.

I see no reason for any other kind of guide to protect the wire, pump or motor. I've been doing this since I was 13 (50 years, but you didn't hear that from me) and never had a scuffed wire that was installed by us. Ok, maybe one or two that homeowners installed, but that's to be expected.

bob...

There is no need for a torque arrestors or wire guides in pvc wells.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Bob, in rock bores, usually over say 100' deep, with PE drop pipe, the cable, taped as you mention, will rub the side of the casing and hole, sometimes in many places. Here's what cable guards (and arrestors) look like. The guards do a great job; when they are placed close enough together, and 40' is way too far apart. I always used flat cable. I see Sammy can't figer out how to use them instead of an arrestor...
    http://www.campbellmfg.com/catalog/r01.htm
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

I still can't figure out why you can't explain the problems to expect using a torque arrestor. You originally said on this thread that a torque arrestor shouldn't be used because it rubs against the wall of the well....I guess that's the reason. I would rather have a sacrificial fitting rub than a pump motor.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com
    Last edited by sammyhydro11; 01-13-2009 at 05:31 PM.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment 99k's Avatar

Well one thing is for sure, it seems like every pump installer has their own method of installation ... perhaps a geographical thing. I have never installed a pump, but it would appear that the cable guard by design will centralize the PVC / PE piping to the casing and therefore would also centralize the pump if close enough to it.

IMO methods vary based on the type and depth of the well and the type of drop pipe used. They are needed on PE pipe over 100'-150'.

Cable guards do not cause any of the problems you can have with properly installed arrestors. And they are sacrificial and inexpensive.

And what problems are those Gary? Maybe 99k wants to know too. I think you really don't know Gary. I think you probably did a search to find out too but couldn't find anything and your waiting for someone to come to your rescue. HA!

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

You just keep selling them to your customer and don't worry about me. You either know what's wrong with them, but I doubt it, or you should.

Yeahhhh Gary!!! You the man Gary! Gary the Clack Man! Clack Clack Clack! HA!

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Previous member

I know what they are not that you showed me a pic. I have pulled only a handfull of pumps with those things on them. Again, homeowners installs.

When I lived in Michigan, some 26+ years ago, some of the drillers were trying out the poly pipe. I imagine it's the norm today. Here in Florida, PVC Sch 80 (and lighter) is the norm.

Another thing to consider, three wire pumps have far greater starting torque than two wire pumps. Another good reason to use two wire pumps when at all possible.

I have a cure to your poly problem with rubbing wire. Always put the wire on the opposite side of the pipe from where it's going to rub.

bob...

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    I have a cure to your poly problem with rubbing wire. Always put the wire on the opposite side of the pipe from where it's going to rub.

bob...
    Now ya shouldn'ta said that! Ya know Sammy will drive hisself nuts with onea them angle thingies trying to figer out just the right angle. That's not nice.

I see where he says DIYers should hire an electrician to run power cable...

Default Personalities!

Why is all this infighting on a forum that is meant to be informative? These comments are personal opinions and preferences.

Pump installers and drillers use what works best in their area.

I consult and teach drilling internationally and find that ground water professionals generally do what works best in their area.

Some people like Chevrolet's and some like Ford's and then some don't know any better! What's your preference?