(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2yr old well pumping cloudy water from day 1

The pump setting of 80' is leaving 20' of water in the well and the static water level stays at roughly the same level. So any dirty water below the pump's inlet stays there.

Usually today wells are not developed as they once were because it costs too much time and money. Your problem may be drilling mud coming off the wall of the well.

A torque arrestor should not be used, they rub the wall every time the pump starts, a pump usually doesn't.

I don't think you've posted water analysis data. Get a test for iron, pH and hardness at least and post the exact amounts/numbers.

What color is the water in a glass and does the water clear if you set the glass down, and how long does it take to clear if it clears?

ralmyusn, that all applies to you too, so do the same tests etc..
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Pump motors will rub when a torque arrestor is not in place. The same applies for wires and wire guides. Those fittings were designed for a reason.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

You're probably drilling crooked holes because the majority of pumps I've pulled didn't have a torque arrestor and the motors didn't show evidence of rubbing.

And I always installed cable guards when reinstalling a pump.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Previous member

I have drilled hundreds of wells and never used a torque arrestor or a "safety cable" as they are called. I have never had a rubbed wire or anything else rubbed causing a problem.

I always said torque arrestors were weekend warrior items since the big box stores sell them and they were just something else the stores can sell you that you don't need.

Drillers and installers today are using a lot more plastic than in years past so there is more possible rubbing to take place. We have been using SCH 80 for around five years now and still don't use torque arrestors. Poly is another story that I don't have much experience with since they don't use it here. (YET).

bob...

Hey Gary, ever drill a water well? I don't drill straight holes because there is no such thing as drilling a straight hole. It is impossible! I have seen plenty of wear on pump motors where no torque arrestor was used. I guess no one has heard of centralizers in the oil industry. They are used for the same principal. Because without them theire pipes would lay up against the inside of the well casing and bore hole. Until they invent the non flexible drill rod,or the perfectly straight drill head, anyone can guarantee that every well drilled will have a slight to severe inclination. Bits walk and drilling rod flexes. Some things were made for a reason and torque arrestors and wire guides are some of those things.

I do agree on the whole rope thing. Using one is a joke unless you make piss poor connections.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Sammy, I know you don't and that rock bores can't be done straight...

Of all the pumps I pulled I had one that had a hole worn in the wet end and one the motor; that looked like it had been there for some time. Most of the rest had no marks on them. All were on PE pipe and were as deep as just over 500' but most were in the 150' to 400' range. I never saw wear on pipe, but maybe 5 out of 10 had damaged cable. Most had cable guards but no tape between them or it had come loose and that's where the wire was worn bare. Some of those had multiple worn through spots. Many of the pumps were 15-20+ years old with a few to 30 yrs old.

Maybe 1 out of 15 had an arrestor. Rope was rare but always a serious PIA.

So Gary, now that you know water wells can't be drilled straight and why the torque arrestor was invented, do you think it's a wise idea to use one?

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Quote Originally Posted by sammyhydro11 View Post
    So Gary, now that you know water wells can't be drilled straight and why the torque arrestor was invented, do you think it's a wise idea to use one?

sammy
    Sammy.... a.. it sounds as if you don't know that some water wells are "drilled" straight. And if you don't know why torque arrestors shouldn't be used, keep using them and sooner or later you'll learn.

Okay Gary, tell everyone why torque arrestors shouldn't be used.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Speedbump and I, and maybe Valveman have mentioned the problems they cause many times. Do a search.

Oh okay...i just figured..well maybe you can explain since you know so much about the issues associated with them. Okay, so all wells are drilled straight and pumps don't have torque. Damn i'm learning so much. All those pumps that i replaced where one side of the motor looked like someone scrubbed it with a rock must have been an illusion. Thinking back now...i wonder just what the heck caused that. I still can't understand why they use those stupid centralizers. Torque arrestors, wire guides, centralizers....what a scam!

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

I said I used cable guards, but not torque arrestors.

It doesn't make any sense to protect the wire but not the pump.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Ah but... cable guards do protect the pump if you use the right kind and use them correctly. And they don't cause the problems an arrestor does.

Okay Gary, so again, what problems will a torque arrestor cause and how exactly is a wire guide going to protect a pump?

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com