Light Switch Behind Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

NewTrinidad

Reaction score
I am having the basement apartment of my 1920 row house renovated and am concerned with the way the contractor has framed the bath. Is it OK to have a light switch the opposite side of a shower faucet?

3147756814_24c44ba9d7.jpg

3147756902_74b8b35c0e.jpg

3147756856_b7d7a94d7a.jpg

Old Coot

Reaction score
I'd be much more concerned about the excessive number of copper plumbing fittings and their solder joints.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I do not like the way the cables entering the metal wall box appear not to have been secured to it but that is not the plumber's problem.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
As long as you use drywall/backer board/tile....no problem.:rolleyes:

And wipe those joints next time.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
With a rental unit being renovated, I wonder if the old electrical work is being reviewed. That kind of BX cable often goes with 2-wire outlets.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
That conduit looks pretty bad.

I don't think that's conduit. Looks like old cloth-wrapped, to me. Around here, I see this mix a lot - places built in the 30's-50's, remodelled in the 60's-70's, look exactly like that picture.

I'll hazard a guess: that's a kitchen countertop outlet on the other side. Power's coming in from that cloth-wrapped wire on the left, and the BX is tapping in to run another kitchen outlet. So the kitchen looks modern-code-compliant, plenty of outlets, but there's actually only 1 circuit. You can't run a kettle at the same time as a toaster, even if they're on opposite countertops.

That's what I see a lot, anyways...

I am having the basement apartment of my 1920 row house renovated and am concerned with the way the contractor has framed the bath. Is it OK to have a light switch the opposite side of a shower faucet?

Your shower control should be screwed into a solid piece of wood, attached solidly to the studs on either side. So should that electrical box...

And wipe those joints next time.
There's some debate about that, I just discovered in the plumbing forum.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

It does not appear that a "plumber" installed the faucet, otherwise he would not have used the female adapters on the faucet. He would have soldered the tubing directly into the shower body, thus eliminating four potential leak points.

NewTrinidad

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's reply! Your comments have been very helpful.

One wire is cloth and the other is conduit. The electrical box is a light switch to the ceiling light. which is just a hallway between the bedroom and the living room. The basement apartment has not been occupied in decades and there are very few outlets so I will need to run new circuits, ESP the kitchen as one poster pointed out.

Thanks again!

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
So I guessed wrong, huh? :D

As long as you're going to be running new circuits, and have all the walls open, get the electrician to replace that old cloth-wrapped. It's pretty rare that the rubber insulation isn't brittle and/or damaged by now. Nothing worse than finishing the job, walls all closed up, and suddenly a circuit conks out...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks