Tankless info from consumer reports, Tankless...Bahhhhh

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Given some of the threads here outlining problems with Takagi units and getting the problem fixed I'll pass on the Korean Takagi...

I'm in the Northeast with some pretty cool water temps about now. I will state IMHO that the only payoff I see in tankless is with gas fired units for a situation where the home owner want an unlimited amount of hot water within the flow rate allowed by the heater(s) installed. I.E Large family with back to back to back showers and baths, larger tubs, & carwash showers. Show me otherwise and somebody is cooking the books!:cool:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Given some of the threads here outlining problems with Takagi units and getting the problem fixed I'll pass on the Korean Takagi...

I'm in the Northeast with some pretty cool water temps about now. I will state IMHO that the only payoff I see in tankless is with gas fired units for a situation where the home owner want an unlimited amount of hot water within the flow rate allowed by the heater(s) installed. I.E Large family with back to back to back showers and baths, larger tubs, & carwash showers. Show me otherwise and somebody is cooking the books!:cool:

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Yabbut, you don't get it, they're not Takagis they're Naviens- Naviens go to eleven, Takagis only go to 10... ;-) (Some Noritz models are Takagis- barely more than a nameplate change. Ever wonder why some Noritz models use Takagi remote controls? )

But in fact Naviens are their own design, probably come with their own unique sets of misery! ;-)

The scuttlebutt that some of the design team came from Takagi doesn't say much either way about 'em. They coulda been the guys who specified or designed the less-than-fully-reliable flame detector for the TK2, but they just as easily have been the guys who wanted to do it right, but were overridden by the group consensus or management, and thus were happy to bolt to a more receptive Navien when the opportunity presented itself. (I've seen many variations on this movie.) Chryslers didn't become Fords when Iacocca bolted either.

Whether the Navien proves more reliable than the competition remains to be seen, but local technical support and parts availability are useful for any device this complex. Tanks are definitely simpler beasts, with more limited sets of problems (but I've seen issues with electronic ignition on tanks less than 2 years old too, eh?) The complexity buys you some efficiency, but only at some cost. It's not a "set and forget" world, and is becoming less so every day. Where the cost/benefit is for anybody has a lot of factors (damned few of which were addressed in the CU article.)

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
When will this topic just DIE. :eek:

I will sum up tankless water heaters;

Expensive to buy
Expensive to have installed
Somewhat less expensive to operate
May not produce enough hot water
Work better in warmer climates
Work better with good water conditions
May not meet code in all localaties (remember the code does say that you have to provide hot water to all fixtures in the home)
Require regular service
Cause heated arguments that never ever seem to end.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
:) :) :) :) :) :)

Yabbut, you don't get it, they're not Takagis they're Naviens- Naviens go to eleven, Takagis only go to 10... ;-) (Some Noritz models are Takagis- barely more than a nameplate change. Ever wonder why some Noritz models use Takagi remote controls? )

But in fact Naviens are their own design, probably come with their own unique sets of misery! ;-)

The scuttlebutt that some of the design team came from Takagi doesn't say much either way about 'em. They coulda been the guys who specified or designed the less-than-fully-reliable flame detector for the TK2, but they just as easily have been the guys who wanted to do it right, but were overridden by the group consensus or management, and thus were happy to bolt to a more receptive Navien when the opportunity presented itself. (I've seen many variations on this movie.) Chryslers didn't become Fords when Iacocca bolted either.

Whether the Navien proves more reliable than the competition remains to be seen, but local technical support and parts availability are useful for any device this complex. Tanks are definitely simpler beasts, with more limited sets of problems (but I've seen issues with electronic ignition on tanks less than 2 years old too, eh?) The complexity buys you some efficiency, but only at some cost. It's not a "set and forget" world, and is becoming less so every day. Where the cost/benefit is for anybody has a lot of factors (damned few of which were addressed in the CU article.)

Just drop the damn link and get it over with. Sheesh! :mad:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Last edited:

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
This morning I measured the flow rate of my shower head with the flow rate set to full on. My shower head is indeed a 2.2 gallon per minute shower head. I just set the volume knog in the shower to the flow rate that feels comfortable. That comfortable flow rate is about 1 gpm,and about 1/3 of the water is from the cold valve.

I would not be surprised if I could run two simultaneous showers even with the current low 40 degree incoming water temperature. I will test that after I get my second shower finished up.

Obviously, some people do not like "low flow" shower heads. They require something more like the Commando 450!

The IPC commissioned a study about the flow rate required to take a shower. They found it hard to complete the study.

Last edited by a moderator:

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
Exactly what I've been thinking about the whirlpool water heater thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com

Expensive to buy
May not meet code in all localaties (remember the code does say that you have to provide hot water to all fixtures in the home)
Require regular service

I agree with the above quote with the exception of them working better in a warmer climate- No they don't!!

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Ok I waiting for my electric water to die and it won't ... so I'm going to bring it behind the barn and shoot it. We have a 45 yr/old furnace so I don't feel like creating hot water from the furnace. I am convinced I do not want a tankless. What about the stand alone gas heaters with a power ventilator? We don't have gas so I'd have to get a 100 gallon tank of propane. Does this option make sense and if so can you recommend a good brand. Thanks.

gregsauls

Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
web.me.com

Expensive to buy
Require regular service

#1 Bought my Rinnai r74lsi for $675 +$150 for vent pipe. Subtract $300 fed tax rebate.

#2 Installed myself.... I can do good DIY !

#3 Yep, didn't really care about cost SAVINGS but did get some.

#4 FALSE, damn lies too! All the hot water I want for a family of 6...Fact!

#5 Live in NE Texas, good inlet water temps. I don't live north of MD line and life is good.

#6 No code issue, Gas company rep was drooling over it!

#7 Once a year. Own a vehicle and don't do routine service???

#8 Only by a few.... "up north folks"

Alternate hot water sources are here to stay. Being "green and energy efficient" will probably be mandated by the cmty for "change" that was just elected, like it or not.

Last edited:

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
gregsauls, you got a deal on that unit, around here they start at 1100. By the time you are done it is usually around $1600 installed with permit as long as you already have gas, if not it is closer to $2400.

BTW, I looked at your install on your blog, nice job!

gregsauls

Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
web.me.com
gregsauls, you got a deal on that unit, around here they start at 1100. By the time you are done it is usually around $1600 installed with permit as long as you already have gas, if not it is closer to $2400.

BTW, I looked at your install on your blog, nice job!

Thanks for the compliments! I did get a good deal from a local wholesale house a buddy of mine manages. Funny thing, "the bay of E" sellers were within a few $$ of the local price but having the backing of my buddy was worth it.

It's not a question of being right or wrong on going tankless. What needs to happen is for some to realize that what works for some may not work for others and more importantly... vice-versa. Tankless isn't the answer for everyone situation or location, but the fact remains it DOES work... at least for some.

So generic answers of "they suck" are highly biased and should be judged as such.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
gregsauls,

You're the minority. The less than 1% that can do these required tasks like installing it, maintaining it.

I talk for the 99% that don't, or CAN'T.

And what happens when your house of 6 loses hot water because of a malfunction...???

We already know; you're going to be the one on the phone to the 1-800 number, the rep who sold it to you, begging for overnight or same day air-shipment of parts that you "think" match the error code on the majic box on the wall.

6 people without hot water for hours, days isn't what I want. The majority want hot water within hours of a call to a plumber, to have the right parts and not fetch them from across the globe.

And what happens if you become disabled to work on that unit:

You just forced your family to really pay out the nose for repairs, maintenance, upkeep. You won't live forever, that's a known fact.

20 years from now when it's as common as a part at the local hardware store, yes. But right now it's a high risk for many, especially that buy the BS about the green way of life because point of use is a new word?

Point of use has been around for a long time, it just got elevated to handle a whole house. Nobody discusses the excessive use of these since they can take a 30-400 minute shower. Let's not talk about that, those car wash showerheads and what not.

EXCESS WITH AN EXCUSE. :cool:

gregsauls

Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
web.me.com
gregsauls,

You're the minority. The less than 1% that can do these required tasks like installing it, maintaining it.

I talk for the 99% that don't, or CAN'T.

EXCESS WITH AN EXCUSE. :cool:

I like being that special 1% "that can" !!!! Thank you for the compliment, seriously. I do not feel I put my family at "risk" installing a tankless in the least little bit. And quit honestly a scare tactic like that will keep people away from technology. If it fails, yes I will be on the phone for parts. Just the same way I would be at the big orange box store replacing a TANK water heater when it springs a leak.... lets only hope I am THERE when it does it and can do damage control.

All dogs have fleas.... but it's still my dog to love!

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I like being that special 1% "that can" !!!! Thank you for the compliment, seriously. I do not feel I put my family at "risk" installing a tankless in the least little bit. And quit honestly a scare tactic like that will keep people away from technology. If it fails, yes I will be on the phone for parts. Just the same way I would be at the big orange box store replacing a TANK water heater when it springs a leak.... lets only hope I am THERE when it does it and can do damage control.

All dogs have fleas.... but it's still my dog to love!

Good points taken, and yes, you should be proud that you can do this work yourself.

I was just mentioning the time factor from malfunction-to-repair that has people without water for days with a tankless.

That's why I mentioned that in 20 years that this problem will most likely be removed.

It has to get down to availability, common product to be worthwhile, which takes time.

As a plumber I can see myself getting hustled on these when they fail, when it comes to replacement.

Customer will take the old one off, put the new one on the wall and my job will be the "hook up" part and they'll minimize the effort stating, "Well I already mounted the unit for ya, sheesh! :rolleyes:"

Oh yeah, I can get that done for ya, $40 and a gallon of milk please.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks