Opinions - HydroCheck HiLo Switch

Users who are viewing this thread

ct-esq

Reaction score
For a variety of reasons, this is on the way to me because the float switch integral to the ABS Robusta 1/2hp pump in the sump pit has finally failed after 72 hours of intermittent error. You should know that the ABS Robusta was installed NEW in Feb 2008.

I chose this product because after taught myself more about sump pump issues than my plumber seems to know, i figured out that the float travel on the ABS Robusta was far too small, requiring the pump to run on and off, essentially pumping against the temporarily high water table due to run-off, etc. So, failure was inevitable. I just wish I understood this before the rain/run-off became an issue. Hopefully, I can put this in to replace the now broken switch and increase the allowable amount of H2O in the pit so the pump doesn't over-cycle and have a substantive failure of the motor itself.

Does anyone have any experience or anecdotes with the HydroCheck HiLo switch product?

Or, is there another product I should look at?

Carmel Corn

Reaction score
IMHO - I would not rely on this as your primary switch. Electronic switches can fail for a variety of reasons including accumulation of scale. If this is the way you want to go, then make sure you keep it clean!

I prefer SJE Rhombus switches....either the vertical master or in some situations the double float switch if you are trying to maximize the length of the pumping cycle. Both feature a piggy back design so that you can still operate your pump manually if needed.

ct-esq

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback on scale! It arrived today to work as the switch after the integral switch in my abs robusta pump failed. i'll watch it carefully.

lbk

Reaction score
Just wondering how your electronic switch worked for you. I was thinking of getting one. What is your opinion now that you've used it?

ct-esq

Reaction score
I dumped the hydrocheck in 96 hours

The hydro check was terrible. During a period of peak flow, the hydrocheck became unreliable - because the sump filled quickly, the contact wouldn't reset and the switch failed to act - so it was removed and replaced withvthe sje mentioned in this thread. The sje has performed perfectly over time - my only minor gripe is the max adjustable travel. Id like to place it higher and have it travel lower for a longer pump. But that is a minor gripe to a much better solution to the hydrocheck.

lbk

Reaction score
Hydrochek

Thanks for the feedback. I bought one of these but I'm so uneasy about the reliability that I think will return it before I even try it. I am having a similar problem to what you describe - My sump fills quite quickly and I want a system that will allow me the maximum range when setting the float/switch. I thought maybe that electronic hydroheck was the solution. I guess the best advantage to the float system is that you can look at it and see if its working. Wiht the electronic system, you just dont know when it is compramised. Thanks for the feedback.

RinconVTR

Reaction score
I have a very active sump in my home, and the pump is easily heard since its directly below the family room. I've tried numerous floats and pumps, and played with pump height to reduce cycling. Nothing worked out, and switches dont last more than a year. And tethers aren’t an option, there is not enough room.

I installed HydroCheck Hi-Lo switch shortly after my main switch failed...AGAIN on xmas morning!!! Merry f-ing xmas! The design is different than what is shown on the web site. I guess its new, because the sensors have only one metal probe, not two per sensor like the web shows.

I do have battery back up in case this fails, but so far it been AWESOME. I could not be happier with the infinite on/off positions. Pump cycling has been greatly reduced, and if it lasts more the 12 months than I will be crazy happy. If it fails...you better believe I will report it here!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks