Myspace = malware¿

Users who are viewing this thread

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Myspace is visited on the home PC and from what the anti-virus software tells me, (Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 12) malware is being introduced from pages visited with mypace URL's. This malware takes the form of web ads opening on their own and they are of diet products, brain quizzes and ironically enough spyware products.

I know they can be more malicious than this but I wanted to know if any of you are famailiar with myspace being cuprit to this. I thought as popular as myspace was that this wouldn't be a problem with it. I have asked the family to not use myspace until I can get this figured out but did offer the public library as a very suitable place to log into myspace. :D

BTW, this is the second time I've had to rescue the PC from the clutches of myspace-malware. :mad:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would recommend that you download a copy of this and store it in a folder for future use.

http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

When faced with malware that goes beyond the abilities of the normal anti-virus, and spyware removal programs it will get your computer back in good health. I had a problem years ago and Merijn Bellekom who wrote the program helped me out. He later sold it to Trend Micro.

Basically you run the program and post a log in a forum and they will tell you what you have and what lines to remove in the registry. Often it takes several run and clean cycles before the system is clean. Some of these try to fix themselves as you try to destroy them.

This is a powerful tool and if you don't know what you are doing you can do grave damage to your computer. So follow the experts advice.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Beware the download is free but you have to buy it in order to remove anything from your puter...

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
The hijackthis search turned up these guys:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/You-Must-Read-Before-Posting-Hijackthis-Log-t2852.html

And I tell you what, so far so good. Especially Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I hope this is not violating the forum rules but I highly recommend the steps the "geeks" give you at the posted link.

It took about an hour (watched Gremlins :cool: on AMC in between) but the PC seems to be back in the game. Myspace is now offlimits :mad: but from what I've learned any site can be sketchy. ('cept this one hehe ;) )

Thanks for that name though, redwood. If it starts to act squirrelly again then I will proceed to the forum they have for hijackthis.

btw, from what I see hijackthis is freeware. Was able to save a logfile from it. Evidently that's what the geeks need at that site. Hope I don't need their help anymore. :eek:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea the log file is what they need.
The geeks look at that and know what infestation you have.
The tell you which lines to get rid of and then you run it again post the log again and they tell you what else to get rid of until you come up clean.

robo_geek

Reaction score
Myspace is visited on the home PC and from what the anti-virus software tells me, (Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 12) malware is being introduced from pages visited with mypace URL's. This malware takes the form of web ads opening on their own and they are of diet products, brain quizzes and ironically enough spyware products.

I know they can be more malicious than this but I wanted to know if any of you are famailiar with myspace being cuprit to this. I thought as popular as myspace was that this wouldn't be a problem with it. I have asked the family to not use myspace until I can get this figured out but did offer the public library as a very suitable place to log into myspace. :D

BTW, this is the second time I've had to rescue the PC from the clutches of myspace-malware. :mad:

I've used Trend for many years and lately I've found that it's not very effective. I've had good luck with PC Tools 'Spyware Doctor' and purchased it after my wife's PC had a bad bout of 'Vundo' spyware (ugh).

Myspace seems to be crawling with malware....I've even gone as far as setting up a dedicated generic PC for surfing, since rebuilding my wife's PC can take many hours.

One very good defense is to use Mozilla Firefox and the WOT and NoScript add-ons. WOT (web of trust) checks search results and web sites to keep you away from the malware-hosting and fake sites. NoScript, blocks active scripting, period. While this can be annoying to use, since it breaks most web sites, it can keep a computer clean if used wisely.

On one PC at home, I use PC Tools Spyware doctor and Trend. Even with Firefox, I need to use Windows system restore every couple of months to restore it back to a clean uninfected state.

Many of the current badware/malwares such as virtumond and vundo are VERY tricky to remove and pretty much laugh at products like Trend and Mcafee....some of this malware actually blocks access to Trend/PC tools, and stops these products from working.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks