Noisy Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

tcbakers

Reaction score
My well pump has been getting more and more noisy (when it's running) for about 3 months now. It seems to be working fine, but I'm concerned that something is wrong.

Speedbump

Reaction score
About the only thing that can make noise in a water pump (that isn't all plastic) is the motor bearings. You can probably locate a motor shop locally that would fix that for you.

bob...

tcbakers

Reaction score
Thank you very much for replying to my message. The loudness seems to be simply the operation of the pump. Would the motor bearings sound different from the operating sound if they were going bad? I mean, I don't hear any grinding or banging sounds - it just seems like the normal operating sounds have gotten louder & louder. Does that still make sense as being motor bearings? I really have no clue... Sorry. Thanks again.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Bearings usually start out making a slight whining sound. As they get drier, they get louder and the pitch changes from high to a lower growling sound. This is my description but not necessarilly a good one. If your motor is getting louder, its the bearings.

I find that the average life of a ball bearing in a pump motor left out in the weather here in Florida is 7 years. We can usually rebuild that motor with new bearings etc. and it will go another 7. That is if it's a good brand motor. Cheap motors don't last anywhere near the first seven.

bob...

tcbakers

Reaction score
It's above ground - in my crawlspace - which is located directly below my bedroom. That's why I've noticed the increase in noise. The pump was replaced about 7 years ago, sounds like it might be time to do it again.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Why buy a new pump when you can repair the motor? Or is it a big box pump? If so, I won't work on it and most reputable motor shops won't either.

bob...

tcbakers

Reaction score
You guessed it! The pump was purchased at Home Depot. I had no idea that the ones from there aren't very good. Do you recommend a specific manufacturer? Thank you again for your help. Happy New Year!!!:)

Speedbump

Reaction score
It's hard to go by manufacturers anymore since practically all the name brand companies are now owned by one of two large conglomerates.

I sell Betta Flo by National Pump. They are still privately owned and make great products.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks