ADA really needed..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Donn2390

Reaction score
I have been trying to decide between the Aquia ll and the lll. I thought it might be nice to have the taller one, but after looking at the specs, it is less than an inch in height difference. That amounts to about $100.00 for saving an inch in travel time, each direction.
I have concluded the only advantage to the lll is if I were installing it in a public place that required the ADA height.
For installation in my private home, I would be throwing away $100 X 2 for the two I wish to purchase.
Is my thinking flawed, or am I wise to purchase the ll, and use the saving for my bar bill...?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts....

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
The height difference between the two is not that much i would stick with the Aquia II and save the money.

Donn2390

Reaction score
bowl-ing for dollars....

That is exactly what I needed..! Two people who are both much better informed than I, and have radically different answers to the question....!
According to the spec sheet, the ll has a bowl height of 163/8, compared to 171/4 for the lll. That equates to 7/8" difference. I have no physical imparities, but even if I did, can 7/8" really make a difference...? Sounds to me like a technicality to get by ADA requirements...
Anyone else want to weigh in on the subject...? The super good guy price ends Wednesday, so I have to decide by then. If I have them installed by the January 1, I'll have a comfortable place to sit and watch the bowl games...
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help...

CST416M below

Attachments

• cst416m_bowl.jpg
    cst416m_bowl.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 441
  • cst416m_bw.jpg
    cst416m_bw.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 436
Last edited by a moderator:

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
If your knees are fine, and you don't really have any compelling need to buy an ADA other that it being something fancy for your new toilet...I would take a measure of your current toilet's height and compare it with with the height of the Aquia II. If you don't feel that your current toilet is uncomfortably low for you, and that its height is basically the same of the Aquia II's height, then I would just buy the Aquia II since you will adjust to the height/feel of the new Aquia toilet after a while and not even notice if it was an ADA or not! And $200 is alot of money that could be better spent in your situation on a nice lav/kitchen faucet.

Last edited:

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
How much time to you plan on spending there and how comfortable do you need that time to be? I don't put a lot of value in time spent there myself.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Excuse me for continuing to ask questions that probably sound dumb to those of you who know your poop, but I'm confused.
My Eljer measures 141/4" from floor to top of bowl... Measuring from floor to top of seat, it's 151/4". Aquia ll specs show 151/4 floor to top of bowl.
Does that mean I automatically gain an inch just by changing brands..?
What am I missing..?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am accustomed to a ADA height toilet. I just returned for 9 days spent in a rental cottage that had standard height full flow toilets! Hated them. Wiped my butt and got my fingers wet and when sitting, my knees above parallel to the floor. An ADA is approximately the same height as a regular dining room chair. That is just fine for most people. As we get older, it becomes more difficult to stand up when sitting in a squatting position.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Excuse me for continuing to ask questions that probably sound dumb to those of you who know your poop, but I'm confused.
My Eljer measures 141/4" from floor to top of bowl... Measuring from floor to top of seat, it's 151/4". Aquia ll specs show 151/4 floor to top of bowl.
Does that mean I automatically gain an inch just by changing brands..?
What am I missing..?

Modern crappers tend to be about 15" or so average height. There is very little standard between brands, so don't expect to be able to compare them equally, especially since you are moving up to a TOTO. There is even quite a lot of variation in the TOTO line.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Just as vanity tops have gradually been increased in height a few inches, due to taller population?, you are seeing more 15" bowls. It is all relative. 15 is taller than 14. 16 is taller than 15. There are folks who would prefer more than 16, but you don't find that.

I have stayed with a 14" high bowl at home, but have grab bars installed in two locations which give my aching back a break!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have both the 14-1/2" and the 16-1/8" high bowl in my home.
The taller bowl is nicer for me.
Your knees know.

Is it worth more for something that will last decades?
For me it would.

Mort

Reaction score
I replaced my standard (1986 vintage) height toilets with Toto ADA height units (Soiree) only because that was the only height they came in and I wanted the style and features of that model. It's amazing how much more comfortable the extra inch or so makes. You don't think much about it until you use a lower one again and it feels like you're squatting on a can. I'd guess that the taller one is the more difference it makes.

Mort

theplumber

Reaction score
If you are a tall person handi-capped height makes a difference, if you are short it's not a big deal.

Donn2390

Reaction score
Done the deed...

Thanks for all you're input... After much consideration, the deal breaker was the guilt trip Terry put on me. What's a couple of hundred bucks compared to a lifetime of comfort..? The "Sports Page" never looked so good... or so comfortable...!
I ordered two Aquia lll today. Can't wait to get them installed...

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You will be very happy with them!

Terry has a great point - if you choose wisely, you'll have great, water-efficient, comfortable, low-hassle toilets for a lifetime - the extra money pro-rated over time is inconsequential.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks