(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water draining bad, backup in basement... (Pictures included)

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking clean out that drain

someone a long time ago broke out that brass drain plug
    and never replaced it....

you need the sewer cleanes out and it might be a good idea to dig a sump pump pit somewhere in the basement...

find the low spot where the water goes to first and install
    a pit and pump for future disasters....

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

That is an old lead fit-all that is busted. It is the access the plumber needs to access to power rod your drain. Did you call the City to as them if their sewers are draining OK? If they say they are clear its time to call a plumber. I was just up North Wests side today, lots of flooded basements.

Cass: If your a Chicago, or Illinois licensed plumber there is none. But if you are just a sewer and drain cleaner guy you need to have a Cook County sewer license which is 50 bucks a year. To get it you have to take a test the first time out. It a Sewer and Drain layer license. Mine is SL#340 We had that number since the 1960's We keep it casue it makes getting permits for sewer repairsin the streets of Chicago a whole lot easer.

TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP MACPLUMB 777's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Backup in basement ! !

At first i was ready to agree with the other plumbers posts,
    but since your basement flooded i think you don't have a real sewer problem

since the city sewer there is a combination of storm drains and sewer
    i think it is a problem with the city main line and thats what keeps the water coming out,

also like redwood said some cheap drain person just knock a hole in your clean out cap and instead of replacing it just left it open ! !

Which is very very bad ! !

MACPLUMB 777

JERRYMAC@TROJANWORLDWIDE.COM

35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER, HEATING, ELECTRIC, DRAINS, FIRE SPRINKLERS, WATER HEATER
    AND BOILERS SINCE JAN, 1989

281-706-1631 7 DYS A WEEK SALES AND TECH. SUPPORT
    Trojan Worldwide Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by RUGGED View Post
    And why hasn't a plumber/drain cleaner been called to this residence?

Jobs like that are simple; get it open with my equipment, charge a good fee and head to the next.

That wastewater is coming back if there's more rainfall/melting to come.
    Me and my wife just got the house this past September, only the past 2 weeks we have been having issues with the plumbing and I have been trying to figure out the problems. Now that I found this hole in the line, it should help when we have a plumber come out and check out the basement.

According to the weather, rain is gone after tonight and snow is coming back, so I guess thats a bit better.

Do most plumbers have a special tool that can get this old cap out? It really seems like its bonded and rusted in there pretty bad, I was going to try to get it out but I didn't want to screw things up even more.

Quote Originally Posted by SewerRatz View Post
    That is an old lead fit-all that is busted. It is the access the plumber needs to access to power rod your drain. Did you call the City to as them if their sewers are draining OK? If they say they are clear its time to call a plumber. I was just up North Wests side today, lots of flooded basements.

Cass: If your a Chicago, or Illinois licensed plumber there is none. But if you are just a sewer and drain cleaner guy you need to have a Cook County sewer license which is 50 bucks a year. To get it you have to take a test the first time out. It a Sewer and Drain layer license. Mine is SL#340 We had that number since the 1960's We keep it casue it makes getting permits for sewer repairsin the streets of Chicago a whole lot easer.
    I tried to call the city many times today in the middle of sucking the water out of the basement and every time it was busy or I got put on hold for a long time, I think alot of people may have been calling.

If the city's sewers are backed up, would that cause the water in my bathtub to not drain like normal and spew water up out of the floor drain in my basement?

Also, this is the place I talked to after doing a bit of research online, found them off the actual City of Chicago website so they should be accredited with the city http://www.aplumberin1hour.com/

Thank you all for all the help and suggestions!
    Last edited by mike04gt; 12-27-2008 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MACPLUMB 777 View Post
    At first i was ready to agree with the other plumbers posts,
    but since your basement flooded i think you don't have a real sewer problem

since the city sewer there is a combination of storm drains and sewer
    i think it is a problem with the city main line and thats what keeps the water coming out,

also like redwood said some cheap drain person just knock a hole in your clean out cap and instead of replacing it just left it open ! !

Which is very very bad ! !

I hope you are right taht it is just something with the city's main line and its not something in mine. Either way, when I get a plumber out here I'll be getting it rodded out anyways.

Hell, with the way the last owner of this house took care of things with that hole in the cap, who knows how long its been since the lines have been cleaned out

A Plumber in an hour is a franchise, I can not say if they are properly licensed. What part of Chicago are you in? The bathtub if its in the basement it would not drain proper. If the city sewer is backed up yes it will cause the water to back up out of the floor drain as well as that open clean out. Here is a couple good guys I know:

Bagley Complete Sewer Service (773) 254-4068

Broschi & Roberts Sewer & Plumbing Serv (773) 376-3030

A Plumber in an hour is a franchise, I can not say if they are properly licensed. What part of Chicago are you in? The bathtub if its in the basement it would not drain proper. If the city sewer is backed up yes it will cause the water to back up out of the floor drain as well as that open clean out. Here is a couple good guys I know:

Bagley Complete Sewer Service (773) 254-4068

Broschi & Roberts Sewer & Plumbing Serv (773) 376-3030

I live right by Wrigley Field if you are familiar with the area, the bathtub is on the first floor of a 2 flat house... I'm going to try again to call the City on Monday since they are probably closed tomorrow... if its the City sewer, I'll be happy that its not mine.

Thanks for those guys numbers, I'll be calling them tomorrow for sure if they are open!!!

I appreciate all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by mike04gt View Post
    I live right by Wrigley Field if you are familiar with the area, the bathtub is on the first floor of a 2 flat house... I'm going to try again to call the City on Monday since they are probably closed tomorrow... if its the City sewer, I'll be happy that its not mine.

Thanks for those guys numbers, I'll be calling them tomorrow for sure if they are open!!!

I appreciate all the help!
    Do I know the area.. heh... Parking is always fun to find. lol and one of the best sewer equipment suppliers is in that area. The tub has its own issue. probably some hair build up.

I do not know how long you lived in that area, but back when I was a teen I used to hang out at a dance club called Medusa's , If I am recalling right it was on Sheffield and School. Then you got The Ally, which back in the day was just that a little store with an ally access, that sold homemade punk clothing, but now is a super trendy store. Oh and Belmont and Clark's Punk N Donuts. Ahh the good old days. Oh oh and Stage Left theater the first home of the Neo-Futurists, and To Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind.

Do I know the area.. heh... Parking is always fun to find. lol and one of the best sewer equipment suppliers is in that area. The tub has its own issue. probably some hair build up.

I do not know how long you lived in that area, but back when I was a teen I used to hang out at a dance club called Medusa's , If I am recalling right it was on Sheffield and School. Then you got The Ally, which back in the day was just that a little store with an ally access, that sold homemade punk clothing, but now is a super trendy store. Oh and Belmont and Clark's Punk N Donuts. Ahh the good old days. Oh oh and Stage Left theater the first home of the Neo-Futurists, and To Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind.
    There are a ton of cool plumbing places up in this area, I've spent many a day and alot of money over at the Faucet Shoppe on Elston haha. Been fixing alot of the basic plumbing problems with the sinks in this house, and the tub.

We had the tub rodded about a month or so ago, he said there is a 'junk trap' in line that could be corroded inside where it would be beneficial to just cut it out and replace most of the line with PVC pipe. I'd love to do that, but just no money right now haha

I've only been living up here in Wrigleyville for a few months, but I do know the Clark & Belmont area well, too bad that area is all yuppies and FAKE punk kids nowadays. TMLMTBGB is having their 20th anniversary this month I live right off of Ashland and Addison, their theater is off Foster and Ashland if memory serves me right

There are a ton of cool plumbing places up in this area, I've spent many a day and alot of money over at the Faucet Shoppe on Elston haha. Been fixing alot of the basic plumbing problems with the sinks in this house, and the tub.

We had the tub rodded about a month or so ago, he said there is a 'junk trap' in line that could be corroded inside where it would be beneficial to just cut it out and replace most of the line with PVC pipe. I'd love to do that, but just no money right now haha

I've only been living up here in Wrigleyville for a few months, but I do know the Clark & Belmont area well, too bad that area is all yuppies and FAKE punk kids nowadays. TMLMTBGB is having their 20th anniversary this month I live right off of Ashland and Addison, their theater is off Foster and Ashland if memory serves me right
    If its the one over the funeral home then yep that is their recent home. Dang I should get my arse over there.
    Last edited by SewerRatz; 12-27-2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: fixed a mispelling on funeral

If its the one over the funeral home then yep that is their recent home. Dang I should get my arse over there.
    haha! Nelson funeral home, yep

Man, I have been living in the suburbs to long.. well not visiting the city as much as I used to. Have you ever been to Riccobenies? They are over on Th Street, If you take State St south till you hit Th just turn right and you cant miss them. There is parking under the viaduct across the street. Best breaded steak sandwich you ever have, and awesome fresh cut fries.

Man, I have been living in the suburbs to long.. well not visiting the city as much as I used to. Have you ever been to Riccobenies? They are over on Th Street, If you take State St south till you hit Th just turn right and you cant miss them. There is parking under the viaduct across the street. Best breaded steak sandwich you ever have, and awesome fresh cut fries.

Yep, down off 26th street, thats the southside for sure, I don't venture down there too often since I moved up here, but yea, their breaded steak sandwiches were amazing. What burb do you live in? I was born and raised in Calumet City, and have been living in Chicago since I left high school years ago.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

Thumbs down Somebody save this guy from himself

Me and my wife just got the house this past September, only the past 2 weeks we have been having issues with the plumbing and I have been trying to figure out the problems. Now that I found this hole in the line, it should help when we have a plumber come out and check out the basement.

According to the weather, rain is gone after tonight and snow is coming back, so I guess thats a bit better.

Do most plumbers have a special tool that can get this old cap out? It really seems like its bonded and rusted in there pretty bad, I was going to try to get it out but I didn't want to screw things up even more.

I tried to call the city many times today in the middle of sucking the water out of the basement and every time it was busy or I got put on hold for a long time, I think alot of people may have been calling.

If the city's sewers are backed up, would that cause the water in my bathtub to not drain like normal and spew water up out of the floor drain in my basement?

Also, this is the place I talked to after doing a bit of research online, found them off the actual City of Chicago website so they should be accredited with the city http://www.aplumberin1hour.com/

Thank you all for all the help and suggestions!

I hate to piss in yer wheaties bud,

but I need to make something really clear to you, because I don't care if you live with sewage in your basement for months...

but let me explain what it looks like to the lay person:

You have raw sewage contaminates in your basement, it's your plumbing system burping and puking back everything you put in it.

You see clear water, I see a small scrape on a leg or finger that leads to a staph infection, hepatitis or even worse. This is the BAD stuff that is floating in your basement. Are you going to casually call the plumber, next week when it's convenient?

I have no doubt that you're not taking precautions changing shoes before entering the upstairs of your residence, wiping down your equipment whether it's a shop vac or a simple mop, broom.

These items will eventually make it to the upper quarters of your home and if you have children, or hell somebody that has a compromised immune system,

somebody is going to bare hand one of those items and not realize when they go to do something else, that this NASTY sewage water is going to transfer and make somebody sick.

Do you realize how many people DON'T get online and post pictures of their sewage backup problems, showing the progression of a problem that's only getting worse, not better? I don't care if you bought the house yesterday at McDonald's, this casual attitude is what makes people sick, including others who will come in contact with your situation.

This scenario for the majority would of had a plumbing/drain cleaning contractor within a couple hours, addressed the situation and solved the problem immediately,

not continue to let it grow and spread and now come in contact with just about everything in that basement.

What was your time worth, posting all these pictures on this thread along with sucking 500 gallons of **** water? Do you realize that the time it took could of been better spent fixing everything else in the home?

The proper cleanup in that basement means the use of disinfectants, removal of items that need to be either tossed or taken outside and cleaned properly.

If everyone starts doing what you're doing at your home, we are truly ****ed in this world because there's a seriousness to that "water" that you think isn't harmful at this point because you're still walking eating and breathing.

You've got a bad situation, about a 9. Urine is still urine even though it's diluted down with 100's gallons of water. Same goes for feces.

It's no different than you laying in bed and just "letting go" of your bodily functions because the only difference is 1 story of height, the basement.

I started off comical in this thread, then asked more serious questions, now I'm just laying it out for all to see that you're making a mockery of yourself showing everybody "Hey folks! I got a pool in my basement! I just had a hearty meal and used the can but give it time and I'll be checking it out in the basement soon enough!"

You catch my drift, the entire WORLD at this point catches my drift, understanding that this is not "normal thinking" when it comes to a plumbing system that is malfunctioning badly and no one seems to think it's a big deal until the tubes are hooked to you in a hospital trying to save you from a raging blood infection or worse.

Take what I've put to print and understand that I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just trying to save you and your family by teaching the hazards of your situation. Clear water clogs do not mean it's sanitary, ever. Damn...
    Last edited by Dunbar Plumbing; 12-27-2008 at 10:00 PM.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

I am in Naperville now. About 20 smething miles west of Chicago, I was born and raised in Bridgeport, by Archer and Troop.