Shower Help! PLEASE!!

Users who are viewing this thread

sashae05

Reaction score
I tried replacing my showerhead faucet combo and took it off. When I tried taking it off, I realized that it was the original copper plumbing that came with the house and did not match up to any of the new shower combos. I had to rip out the plastic liner, along with some of the drywall. Now that I have done that I would like to rip out the all of the plastic liners and replace it with tile. I need to know 1) Should I rip out all of the drywall and replace it with cement board? 2) How do I tile the shower correctly without making a huge mess and damaging the shower.
Any help would be appreciated.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, you have backed yourself into quite a project, but it is doable.

Tile must NOT be put over drywall in a shower. Cement board is the traditional prodcut, but must be put up with the proper moisture barrier behind it , taped joints, overlap the tub flange, etc. Do a LOT of homework before you start this project.

Since you are opened up, have you considered having a plumber properly install a shower valve? It sounds like you are a little light on DIY skills, and that valve needs to be good for 20+ years after you go to all the trouble of putting new tile up. How about posting a pic of what you have?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks