Quality of decorative supply lines and drain/overflow for clawfoot tubs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Here are some pics of my antique clawfoot with the new bling.

Some before and after, i'll try and find some more before

BEFORE
P1000352.jpg

AFTER
DSC00371.jpg

DSC00367.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

chinbender

Reaction score
Thanks for the Photos rmelo!

Can you or anyone else answer a question for me? I am starting a remodel this week, and trying to keep a period feel to the bathroom...I'm also trying to reuse existing parts, notably the tub. I love the look of these exposed plumbing fixtures, but we won't have a clawfoot tub. Some of the prices are astronomical, the overstock product seems to be a great price for the quality. Can the main unit (faucets/tub filler/ riser / showerhead) be installed directly into a wall? I'd likely ditch the curtain rod and of course the supply/drain/overflow attachments.

Is this installation feasible?

Last edited:

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
They exist, but this particular unit is tub installed. I don't see how you could install it in the wall. You would need a faucet that has a rough valve that goes in the wall and the trim that is installed on the outside of the wall.

There are wall mount units made by the same company that made mine.

http://www.kingstonbrass.com/proddetail.asp?ProdID=8518

http://www.kingstonbrass.com/proddetail.asp?ProdID=8526

Even overstock has wall mounted units. Not sure who makes this one below,but you get the idea.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Americana-Chrome-Clawfoot-Tub-Faucet/1955884/product.html

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

One of the critical things that makes it legal is that the spout MUST terminate above the tub rim, which you indicate yours does. There are bent copper/brass supplies for a faucet like that so you do not have to use the flexible braided ones.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Rmelo99,
Does the center handle on that valve turn off water to both the spout and the shower at the same time at any setting? I have seen at a customers house where they had a similar valve that was able to do so and they had a hot/cold crossover problem that cracked a toilet.:eek:

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
No, the center handle is a divertor for the tub spout or the shower(handle or overhead).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks