Crane Toilet-To-Go Flush Valve/Ball/Bell

Users who are viewing this thread

Triton46

Reaction score
Greetings

I've got a Crane Toilet-To-Go (about a year old). This toilet has a very odd flush valve. It's a bell shaped contraption, where the bell is the flapper/valve and the top of the bell is the overflow. The bell is attached, with a plastic anchor, to the tank/bowl valve seat.

The valve seat is raised, with no external anchor for a replacement valve/flapper like a normal toilet.

My problem is that the fill/float assembly was worthless. You couldn't fine tune it enough to hit the fill mark yet not overflow into the bell. The tank is a 1.6G so you have to get right at the fill mark otherwise nothing flushes. I've replaced it with a pressure related fill valve, however I'm still having problems hitting the mark.

I'd like to replace the valve, but I'll need to replace the entire valve and valve seat. I'm not sure which "universal valve and valve seat" parts will fit this toilet. Any ideas?

3755_EN.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

They say "only one piece to change and it can be changed from the top", but cannot find a picture. In most cases, with a two piece toilet like this, it can be changed to a conventional fill valve and Douglas flush valve.

Probedude

Reaction score
The x-ray view in the manual, the flapper valve/overflow tube looks 'normal'.

Sure looks like you could replace it with a universal but I'm a bit confused by your problem. You said it was a fill valve problem but you want to replace the ballcock setup?

Lisa Bishop

Reaction score
lbish

triton46
same problem here. Can't find this contraption anywhere! The bell has embossed "Certain Flush 3, Coast Foundry and Manufacturing Company" along with the patent # & information. My toilet is an '04. I can't even find a substitution with a 4" seat & plunger.

Triton46

Reaction score
The x-ray view in the manual, the flapper valve/overflow tube looks 'normal'.

Sure looks like you could replace it with a universal but I'm a bit confused by your problem. You said it was a fill valve problem but you want to replace the ballcock setup?

Thanks for the reply.

The picture of the attached setup guide does not represent the "innards" of my particular toilet. Perhaps they switched back.

Initially, we had a fill valve problem where the fill valve would continue to run...stop...run...stop...run. I removed it and replaced it with one driven by pressure. That part is OK, however the overflow tube/flapper (one unit, not like the conventional Douglas flapper) makes it difficult to adjust and sometimes the "bell" flapper gets caught and won't close due to design.

In the pictures below: Pic 1 shows the pressure driven fill valve and to the right the "bell flapper". Pic 2 shows the "bell flapper" raised (all water evacuated) and you can see the plastic "anchor" on the bottom of the "bell flapper" attaching it to the valve seat.

IMG_0344.jpg
IMG_0345.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

That fill valve should only be used for horse water tanks so they do not have a float rod to play with. They are useless as a toilet fill valve, if for no other reason than there is no way to manually shut them off if they start to overfill the tank. The flush valve can be replaced with a generic flapper unit since it uses the same size hole in the tank.

Triton46

Reaction score
That fill valve should only be used for horse water tanks so they do not have a float rod to play with. They are useless as a toilet fill valve, if for no other reason than there is no way to manually shut them off if they start to overfill the tank. The flush valve can be replaced with a generic flapper unit since it uses the same size hole in the tank.

I've had this particular fill valve in two toilets in the house for two years. I do see your point though. My problem with the old float style fill valve was that it continued to run....stop...run...stop. It kept me up at night, it was as if the toilet was leaking (which I confirmed it was not by shutting off the water and not using it for a week).

Is there a particular flush valve I can use to replace this one? I've looked through a few different stores and can find none that are compatible.

Probedude

Reaction score
I would take the tank off, then the flapper assembly out and take that around with you to plumbing stores. I don't know if the hole in the tank is too big for any universal flapper replacement kit but you may be able to use the 3" Toto one.

See this picture

gmax_flushvalve.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation on why I tell people not to buy those Crane all in one toilets...

Disposable toilets not worth fixing.

asalley

Reaction score
crane toilet flush valve

Has anyone found a replacement flush valve for the crane toilets? I have the same dilemma trying to find a replacement. I bought this Korky valve but it looks like it is to small in diameter compared to the opening on the bottom of the toilet tank. See pics.

toilet 004.jpg
toilet 006.jpg

Probedude

Reaction score
I think you'll need to take the flush valve out and go visit a plumbing house - probably several. Some Toto's like the Drake use a 3" flapper assembly which may be large enough to install into your Crane's tank.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Doesn't Lowes carry repair parts for it...
After all they sell it!:eek:

Don't bother answering... I already know...

83.jpg

A lovely picture of a Crane "All in One" sailing across Hong Kong Harbor...

Triton46

Reaction score
Lowes no longer carries any Crane parts. All the universal flush valves appear to be of the 2.5" variety. The Crane Toilet-To-Go looks to require a 3.5" replacement. Anyone know who carries a 3.5" flush valve?

IMG_0351.jpg
IMG_0357.jpg

Probedude

Reaction score
Again I think you'll need to go to a well equipped plumbing store OR do a lot of googling and see if you can pull up mechanical drawings of replacement flush valves.

I was just googling for you, typed in "crane toilet parts" and hit a website that sells toilet parts. From there I clicked on "more flush valves" and was directed to a section that showed a LOT of replacement flush valves - including one for the Cadet 3 which I believe uses a 3" flapper. Maybe the ones with the 3" flapper, the threaded portion is larger and would properly fit your 3.5" tank opening.

If my Toto Drake was still in the box I would have measured the opening for you.

All that said, I've read the Cadet 3 has respectable performance, uses standard parts and is available at the big box places for a good price. You could just replace the toilet with one that has standard parts and be done with it. At some point your time is worth more than chasing around parts.

Dave

Triton46

Reaction score
Probedude,

Yeah, I had checked the parts out online myself a few weeks back but there are no posted sizes. Thanks for mentioning the Cadet3. With that I was able to lock in on a few products to send their sales dept to see if it will work.

Thanks again

tgsmaus

Reaction score
Crane Toilet replacement parts

I have a Crane SureFlush toilet purchased at a major home center in early 2007.
the toilet uses almost identical mechanical systems as the All-in-one
The Fill Valve has a fixed tube that would run over and into the bell shaped flapper

has anyone been able to find replacement parts? Since this company was taken over by American Standard, it seems like they have vacated major Home Centers!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would consider this to be a lesson in shopping at the lower end of the price spectrum.

I would suggest trying the opposite and find sure satisfaction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks