(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crane Toilet-To-Go Flush Valve/Ball/Bell

Default Crane Toilet-To-Go Flush Valve/Ball/Bell

Greetings

I've got a Crane Toilet-To-Go (about a year old). This toilet has a very odd flush valve. It's a bell shaped contraption, where the bell is the flapper/valve and the top of the bell is the overflow. The bell is attached, with a plastic anchor, to the tank/bowl valve seat.

The valve seat is raised, with no external anchor for a replacement valve/flapper like a normal toilet.

My problem is that the fill/float assembly was worthless. You couldn't fine tune it enough to hit the fill mark yet not overflow into the bell. The tank is a 1.6G so you have to get right at the fill mark otherwise nothing flushes. I've replaced it with a pressure related fill valve, however I'm still having problems hitting the mark.

I'd like to replace the valve, but I'll need to replace the entire valve and valve seat. I'm not sure which "universal valve and valve seat" parts will fit this toilet. Any ideas?

Installation instructions
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Terry; 12-25-2008 at 08:40 AM.

Default toilet

They say "only one piece to change and it can be changed from the top", but cannot find a picture. In most cases, with a two piece toilet like this, it can be changed to a conventional fill valve and Douglas flush valve.

The x-ray view in the manual, the flapper valve/overflow tube looks 'normal'.

Sure looks like you could replace it with a universal but I'm a bit confused by your problem. You said it was a fill valve problem but you want to replace the ballcock setup?

Default ?

The fill valve IS the ballcock, but he appears to have a flush valve problem of some kind if the tank will not fill.

Default lbish

triton46
    same problem here. Can't find this contraption anywhere! The bell has embossed "Certain Flush 3, Coast Foundry and Manufacturing Company" along with the patent # & information. My toilet is an '04. I can't even find a substitution with a 4" seat & plunger.

Quote Originally Posted by Probedude View Post
    The x-ray view in the manual, the flapper valve/overflow tube looks 'normal'.

Sure looks like you could replace it with a universal but I'm a bit confused by your problem. You said it was a fill valve problem but you want to replace the ballcock setup?

Thanks for the reply.

The picture of the attached setup guide does not represent the "innards" of my particular toilet. Perhaps they switched back.

Initially, we had a fill valve problem where the fill valve would continue to run...stop...run...stop...run. I removed it and replaced it with one driven by pressure. That part is OK, however the overflow tube/flapper (one unit, not like the conventional Douglas flapper) makes it difficult to adjust and sometimes the "bell" flapper gets caught and won't close due to design.

In the pictures below: Pic 1 shows the pressure driven fill valve and to the right the "bell flapper". Pic 2 shows the "bell flapper" raised (all water evacuated) and you can see the plastic "anchor" on the bottom of the "bell flapper" attaching it to the valve seat.
    Last edited by Triton46; 12-27-2008 at 07:13 PM.

Default tank

That fill valve should only be used for horse water tanks so they do not have a float rod to play with. They are useless as a toilet fill valve, if for no other reason than there is no way to manually shut them off if they start to overfill the tank. The flush valve can be replaced with a generic flapper unit since it uses the same size hole in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    That fill valve should only be used for horse water tanks so they do not have a float rod to play with. They are useless as a toilet fill valve, if for no other reason than there is no way to manually shut them off if they start to overfill the tank. The flush valve can be replaced with a generic flapper unit since it uses the same size hole in the tank.
    I've had this particular fill valve in two toilets in the house for two years. I do see your point though. My problem with the old float style fill valve was that it continued to run....stop...run...stop. It kept me up at night, it was as if the toilet was leaking (which I confirmed it was not by shutting off the water and not using it for a week).

Is there a particular flush valve I can use to replace this one? I've looked through a few different stores and can find none that are compatible.

I would take the tank off, then the flapper assembly out and take that around with you to plumbing stores. I don't know if the hole in the tank is too big for any universal flapper replacement kit but you may be able to use the 3" Toto one.

See this picture
    http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...18&postcount=4

Thanks for the confirmation on why I tell people not to buy those Crane all in one toilets...

Disposable toilets not worth fixing.

Default crane toilet flush valve

Has anyone found a replacement flush valve for the crane toilets? I have the same dilema trying to find a replacement. I bought this Korky valve but it looks like it is to small in diameter compared to the opening on the bottom of the toilet tank. See pics.

I think you'll need to take the flush valve out and go visit a plumbing house - probably several. Some Toto's like the Drake use a 3" flapper assembly which may be large enough to install into your Crane's tank.

Doesn't Lowes carry repair parts for it...
    After all they sell it!

Don't bother answering... I already know...

A lovely picture of a Crane "All in One" sailing across Hong Kong Harbor...

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post

A lovely picture of a Crane "All in One" sailing across Hong Kong Harbor...
    Thats random...i must say xD

Lowes no longer carries any Crane parts. All the universal flush valves appear to be of the 2.5" variety. The Crane Toilet-To-Go looks to require a 3.5" replacement. Anyone know who carries a 3.5" flush valve?