Drain pipe stuck in wall...

Users who are viewing this thread

bbbluueyes

Reaction score
Hi- thank you very much in advance-
While removing an old (i.e. 60's) bathroom sink and faucet, the pipe going into the wall would not come out. After tugging, cutting, etc.. the pipe old pipe, meaning the pipe that was originally attached to the trap, is now flush with the wall.
Is there a possible way to remove this without tearing up the wall?
Thanks again~
Paul

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Was there a slip nut and washer on this pipe or did it just seem to go into the wall with out anything holding it in place? A picture would be helpful. If there was s slip nut and washer you just have to get under the piece of pipe with a strong screw driver and try to fold it on itself. If it did not have the slip nut it is likely you have a solder fitting in place. Back in the 50's and 60's they screwed in this bushing that allowed the plumber to solder the quarter bend of the p-trap in place. If that is the case get a hacksaw blade and cut the bushing out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

There might have been an easier way before you cut it. Now you have to peel the pipe out of the fitting and the deeper in the wall it is the harder it will be to do it.

bbbluueyes

Reaction score
Pipe

Thanks guys for replying. The pipe is just the "typical" drain pipe secured by a washer on the wall. I tried the screwdriver - very difficult ---- were you talking about using a hacksaw blade to cut it? Or any other ideas? Thanks again - -
Paul

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Thanks guys for replying. The pipe is just the "typical" drain pipe secured by a washer on the wall. I tried the screwdriver - very difficult ---- were you talking about using a hacksaw blade to cut it? Or any other ideas? Thanks again - -
Paul

A hacksaw blade cut through it a few times like in the 12 o clock 3 o clock 6 oclock and 9 oclock positions, then use the screw driver to pry out the pieces. Be careful they are sharp. I run into this every now and then, each time it is a royal pain to get the piece out.

bbbluueyes

Reaction score
Pipe

Thanks again for the reply- I am at a different location from the problem pipe so I will try tomorrow - do you think it is ok if I can only get about 1" of the pipe out of the wall and leave the rest in the wall? i.e. - the old pipe may be 4" into the wall, I can remove 1" of it an put the new pipe butting up against the old remaining 3" - obviously this is not preferable but I am thinking it is going to be a bear getting the entire thing out - --

Thanks!
Paul

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Thanks again for the reply- I am at a different location from the problem pipe so I will try tomorrow - do you think it is ok if I can only get about 1" of the pipe out of the wall and leave the rest in the wall? i.e. - the old pipe may be 4" into the wall, I can remove 1" of it an put the new pipe butting up against the old remaining 3" - obviously this is not preferable but I am thinking it is going to be a bear getting the entire thing out - --

Thanks!
Paul

It is best to try and get it all out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bear

It WILL be a bear to get out, but you have to do it. As I said, it might have been easier before you cut it out, but now you have little choice except to do it right. How about a picture of what you are working with so we can be sure we are giving you the right advice for your problem?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks