(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post - photos of basement DWV project

Default First post - photos of basement DWV project

Hello,

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

I thought I'd share a couple photos of a DWV project. After a lot of research, I ended up hiring a plumber to do the work, instead doing the whole thing DIY. (Actually I bartered some computer work / wireless networking, so it ended up being a good arrangement.)

The first photo shows the existing waste line, where a full bath was to be roughed in.

The next photo is how we installed it. The tub goes at the top of the photo, and the vertical pipe got built in to the rough wall as the lav drain & wet vent. Toilet in the obvious spot...

Can anyone identify the type of water supply line I have? We ended up tee-ing into the copper with PEX. He mentioned that he didn't have the right tools to terminate to the tubing. (His boss had one at the shop, but it was an hour away) He commented on the good workmanship of the water meter / regulator connections, and how it's branched through the joists. (I can post better pictures later..)
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Default dwv

I can think of at least 3 ways to connect the toilet without using a bunch of elbows. A strict inspector would have had a problem with not having a cleanout after he used two elbows.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    A strict inspector would have had a problem with not having a cleanout after he used two elbows.
    A lenient inspector would have no problems not passing the job after seeing 1 horizontal elbow underground in my neighbourhood.

WE are not allowed to to use any 90 degree bends .Underground.
    Last edited by cwhyu2; 12-25-2008 at 01:04 PM.

Default elbows

Most codes only allow 135 degrees of turns before requiring a cleanout. And if that toilet opening is the only way to snake the line it will be more difficult to make a 270 degree turn in that short a distance. I would have done it the right way and just used one 90 before the connection to the drain line.

Just curious. Why did you make all the bends from the toilet to the main pipe. Why didn't you just go straight in instead of going around in the circle. Because the more bends you have the more problematic it can be.

You probably should of posted your questions before pouring the cement. Now it makes it more of a decision to change something.

Did you use purple primer?
    Last edited by GabeS; 12-25-2008 at 07:13 AM.
    Gabe

Don't follow my advice, I only know a thing or two about a thing or two.

Quote Originally Posted by GabeS View Post

Excellent observation and a code requirement.
    http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/forum.php
    My answers are based mostly on the ICC codes. Advice given is my personal opinion and every person performing work should acquire a permit from his/her jurisdiction and get the work inspected. My opinions are not directions to follow for DIYs or professionals

Quote Originally Posted by GabeS View Post
    He didn't do the work, a plumber did

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

I wonder if it was an apprentice plumber, or if there was a permit and an inspection. Personally I would of opened up more of the floor to move the Wye further down the line so the piping for the water closet wouldn't have any extra turns.

I also see a unshielded fernco just before the elbow that brings up the stack. I would of cut out part of the stack and installed a clean out the stack and all glued fittings. No fernco needed.

An honest to god, licensed plumber did that? What a hack job. All of that could have been done with 1/2 the fittings and a whole lot neater to boot. Can't believe that passed inspection and was covered up.

Quote Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
    An honest to god, licensed plumber did that? What a hack job.
    Reminds me of a joke

Question - "What do you call a med student that got a D average in med school?"

Answer - "Doctor"

There's licensed - "talented" and licensed "untalented" in all walks of life.

Edited my first post.Sorry about that.

I like this one:

and BTW: come on no Licensed Plumber would seriously use that many bends on the WC,......hehe ...

It almost looks like someone was playing "Lets use all these Fittings"

BTW - Whats that like a 22" rough on the WC as well, kind look far from any wall to me

It certainly would have failed inspection if it was inspected.
    http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/forum.php
    My answers are based mostly on the ICC codes. Advice given is my personal opinion and every person performing work should acquire a permit from his/her jurisdiction and get the work inspected. My opinions are not directions to follow for DIYs or professionals

How 'bout venting? I don't see any vents. He could still vent the vanity drain. But doesn't he need to come up at a 45 degree angle or better for the tub and WC and within 5 feet of the trap?
    Gabe

Don't follow my advice, I only know a thing or two about a thing or two.