(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: muddy well for christmas

Not trying to hijack the thread but since I too have given some thought as to having a jaswell seal installed in my well I have a couple questions . Everyone seems to agree the bottom of the casing should be in bedrock , correct ? Is there a specific distance below the bottom of the casing the seal should be installed ? If so why ? Should a seal also be installed on the top of the liner to eliminate the possibility of muddy water filling up between the liner & the casing & overflowing into the liner ?

The casing needs to be installed into solid bedrock. The reason why he is getting muddy water is probably because the casing is installed in weathered rock and the water above the rock is perculating into the hole through the voids. Or they might not have grouted the hole properly.The seal should be installed below the bottom of the casing and into solid rock. That way the water just hits the seal and cant get by it.

I usualy don't have to push the seal any farther than 10 to 15 feet beyond the casing. Regardless, a camera inpsection is necessary to determine where the seal should be placed. The video tells all. On some wells most of the water that the well is producing is coming in through that opening at the end of the casing and installing the seal cuts off a lot of the production. Knowing what the well originaly produced for water, and looking at how much water is coming in through that opening, you can get an idea as to how much the well will be producing once you are done. Sometimes you come across wells where 80 percent of the water is coming through that opening and instead of cutting off all the water the customer decides to treat the water rather having almost no water at all.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Angry

Hey folks, me again

Thanks for all your help, I wanted to keep you up-to-date and maybe someone else can benefit from my experience.

It is now jan 13 and we still have no water (around a month).

I have been getting the major runaround from my well company and it turns out Porky I did and will need the info you posted.

Not mentioning any names, but if anyone is going to use Coffman Pump and Well out of Lewisburg, WV please check references first.

First he had to order pipe, his rig is in the shop, it is too cold, ground is too soft etc etc.

Last wednesday, I finally told him I think he is, in part, to blame for my problem and asked if he were willing to help with the cost and he said no.

So I had the sanatarian contact another driller who will be here this morning (thats 3 days notice) and I will try and recoup my loss in small claims court.

This is my observation, any other takes on it.

I was there when the casing was set and the driller could not punch the last joint in. he was doing the math out loud and ended up leaving 2 feet above ground and cutting 2 feet off the last pipe. This left the casing length at 58'.

His well completion report has limestone & voids from 47'-52' and limestone 52'-100'..

I believe he did not case suffiently below the weathered rock(voids) and also per wv code a packer should have been installed when grouting through voids, howelse could he have grouted it properly.

I did not see the grouting being done, but I assume he did do some as an empty grout bag was used to cover my well (thats right no well cap just a paper bag that blew off and left my well open for 4 months).

From June to Oct, we had the driest period in recent history, and then we have been soaked every week since nov. I now hear a constant trickle in the well and surmise that this is the mud and water coming it at 58' contaminating the well.

Also, I tried to look down the well with a mirror and the well is curved really badly, like I can only see about 10 feet. Is it possible the rigid steel casing could not bend enough to seat properly on the bottom, of the casing bore.

thanks for your help.

Previous member

From my past experience with small claims court, don't waste your time or money. No doubt you will win, because he won't show up. Now it's your duty to try and collect the money with no help from the court system at all.

bob...

You need to get a company that has a downhole camera.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Ditto on Small Claims Court. I've been a witness in 3 small claim actions, and each time the person being sued lied and got off the hook.
    Last edited by Robert444; 01-13-2009 at 08:56 PM.