(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Slow water drain

  1. #1

    Default Slow water drain

    Last winter i noticed that my flush was draining really slowly but it seemed to clear up on its own. It happened a couple times but always cleared up on its own. Now fast forward to this winter it is happening again but it is worse. The flush will fill up to the top and slowly drain. I also noticed that if i were to use the washing machine while running the shower the tub would fill up and slowly drain. This leads me to believe it is an issue with my main drain. I pulled the flush up and checked it and there is nothing in the flush. I put a 20 foot snake down the drain from the flush and it doesn't seem to be catching anything. While I had the flush up i turned on the sink and the shower and the water in the flush drain started to raise. Also when i flush the toilet small air bubbles comes up. Every once in a while when i flush the toilet it will work but if i do it right after it won't. Since i have only had problems in the winter i put hot water down the drain to see if it was froze and it didn't fix the problem. I noticed that when i pour water down the flush some leaks around the bottom so i have to change the seal but what could be the problem? Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    There is a partial blockage in your drainage system and you will need more than a 20 foot snake.

  3. #3

    Default

    You have all the classic symptoms of a partially clogged main drain, as SewerRatz said. You need to hire a professional, who will snake it out using a 100 ft cable from one of the clean-outs.

    It probably takes a year to clog back up, which is why you seem to have this problem around the same time each year. They can also use a camera to see what's going on.

  4. #4

    Default

    If it is a clog in the main sewer drain could it be fixed by a snake you get at home depot or is it likely to be something a professional would have to be called for? Any ideas why little air bubbles would come up when i flush?

  5. #5
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    21,374

    Default

    A small snake head will poke a hole in the blockage, not clean the pipe so it will likely clog up again quickly...often not worth the effort. The air trapped in the pipe has to go somewhere...normally it goes up the vent so that could be blocked, too.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  6. #6
    Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    I just said on a different post you can rent a machine for cleaning main drains, but they are very dangerous to use. The air bubbles is caused by when you have a slug of water heading towards the blockage in the system the trapped air wants to escape.

  7. #7

    Default

    I know every job is different but would anyone have an estimate on how long it would take a professional? Kind of wondering how much i am looking at. I appreciate everyone's input.

  8. #8
    Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jordan456789 View Post
    I know every job is different but would anyone have an estimate on how long it would take a professional? Kind of wondering how much i am looking at. I appreciate everyone's input.
    If you where in my neck of the woods, and you had a proper clean out it shouldn't take more than an hour. We charge $265 for the first hour and $80 per half hour there after. If I had to pull your water closet to rod the sewer you can add another half hour to it. Now this is just a ball park cause we have no idea what is in your sewer clogging it. It can go quick and easy and the job is done in a half hour.. or it can take 3 hours. But on the average most main line roddings take an hour.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jordan456789 View Post
    I know every job is different but would anyone have an estimate on how long it would take a professional? Kind of wondering how much i am looking at. I appreciate everyone's input.
    I would call Roto-Rooter or some other Drain Specialist. It usually takes no more than a half-hour from start to finish, and should cost between $100-$150--a little more or a little less, depending on where you live.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SewerRatz View Post
    I just said on a different post you can rent a machine for cleaning main drains, but they are very dangerous to use. The air bubbles is caused by when you have a slug of water heading towards the blockage in the system the trapped air wants to escape.
    Why do you say the electric ones are very dangerous?

  11. #11
    Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jordan456789 View Post
    Why do you say the electric ones are very dangerous?
    Well you have a motor spinning the cable, if you get the cutter bound up in the blockage and are not quick enough to free it, and to slow getting off the foot switch, it can wrap around you and brake fingers, hands , arms, or even remove said body parts.

  12. #12
    Master Plumber Redwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Verdeboy View Post
    I would call Roto-Rooter or some other Drain Specialist. It usually takes no more than a half-hour from start to finish, and should cost between $100-$150--a little more or a little less, depending on where you live.
    Prices vary widely across the country and Verdeboy lives in an area that is severely depressed economically. Here in the Northeast Baltimore to Boston I doubt you could get a toilet augered for $150 nevermind having a Rooter company do it. They are usually on the upper end of the price scale.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    Prices vary widely across the country and Verdeboy lives in an area that is severely depressed economically. Here in the Northeast Baltimore to Boston I doubt you could get a toilet augered for $150 nevermind having a Rooter company do it. They are usually on the upper end of the price scale.

    Last year, when I visited my parents in SE Michigan, they got their main line rodded out for $80.00 from a reputable plumbing company. So, prices do vary tremendously.

  14. #14
    Plunger/TurdPuncher kingsotall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD
    Posts
    1,260

    Default

    Ah ah ah fellas, there's a whole 'nuther forum for price debating...

    Rugged has some very insightful words when it comes to your pricing. Has changed my whole outlook.

  15. #15
    Master Plumber Redwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingsotall View Post
    Ah ah ah fellas, there's a whole 'nuther forum for price debating...

    Rugged has some very insightful words when it comes to your pricing. Has changed my whole outlook.
    I agree!

    We really shouldn't be talking prices at all in the open forum.
    If someone around here ended up thinking they could get a line rodded at the prices given they could have a very long wait. It's not fair to the poster and the companies they call to have the work done. Pricing it is what it is...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •