turning off a lamp

Users who are viewing this thread

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm going to build a mini greenhouse for a plant. Inside this mini greenhouse is a 100 or 150 watt lamp. I'm looking for a cheap solution that can turn OFF this lamp when temperature inside greenhouse reaches 40F. It can also turn the lamp to ON when temp inside greenhouse goes down to 30F. I'm not really good in electrical so I don't know what to look for. Right now, I'm thinking thermostat but that's it.

Are there products like this?

Thanks!

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Hi folks,

I'm going to build a mini greenhouse for a plant. Inside this mini greenhouse is a 100 or 150 watt lamp. I'm looking for a cheap solution that can turn OFF this lamp when temperature inside greenhouse reaches 40F. It can also turn the lamp to ON when temp inside greenhouse goes down to 30F. I'm not really good in electrical so I don't know what to look for. Right now, I'm thinking thermostat but that's it.

Are there products like this?

Thanks!

First buy a thermometer and install it inside your house near a window that faces the greenhouse.

Next install this product and use it whenever you see the temperature at the limits you want:

the-clapper.jpg

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
The thermostat contacts have to be able to handle a tungsten load. If you can't find one, you need to have the tstat control a relay that can handle a tungsten load.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The thermostat contacts have to be able to handle a tungsten load. If you can't find one, you need to have the tstat control a relay that can handle a tungsten load.

I will go out on a limb and say that any product which is designed to have a regular AC plug plugged in to it will be adequate for a 100 watt flood bulb. But of course, I am sure the manufacturer can provide a detailed spec sheet to be sure.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I will go out on a limb and say that any product which is designed to have a regular AC plug plugged in to it will be adequate for a 100 watt flood bulb. But of course, I am sure the manufacturer can provide a detailed spec sheet to be sure.
And I will be busy sawing off the limb you are on!:p

You're probably right. This is not some huge incandescent or motor load.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks