(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: turning off a lamp

Default turning off a lamp

Hi folks,

I'm going to build a mini greenhouse for a plant. Inside this mini greenhouse is a 100 or 150 watt lamp. I'm looking for a cheap solution that can turn OFF this lamp when temperature inside greenhouse reaches 40F. It can also turn the lamp to ON when temp inside greenhouse goes down to 30F. I'm not really good in electrical so I don't know what to look for. Right now, I'm thinking thermostat but that's it.

Are there products like this?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty View Post
    Hi folks,

I'm going to build a mini greenhouse for a plant. Inside this mini greenhouse is a 100 or 150 watt lamp. I'm looking for a cheap solution that can turn OFF this lamp when temperature inside greenhouse reaches 40F. It can also turn the lamp to ON when temp inside greenhouse goes down to 30F. I'm not really good in electrical so I don't know what to look for. Right now, I'm thinking thermostat but that's it.

Are there products like this?

Thanks!
    First buy a thermometer and install it inside your house near a window that faces the greenhouse.

Next install this product and use it whenever you see the temperature at the limits you want:

http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/forum.php
    My answers are based mostly on the ICC codes. Advice given is my personal opinion and every person performing work should acquire a permit from his/her jurisdiction and get the work inspected. My opinions are not directions to follow for DIYs or professionals

Seriously, contact this company and just make sure that the products are UL listed.

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/acce...controls.shtml
    http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/forum.php
    My answers are based mostly on the ICC codes. Advice given is my personal opinion and every person performing work should acquire a permit from his/her jurisdiction and get the work inspected. My opinions are not directions to follow for DIYs or professionals

Quote Originally Posted by jar546 View Post
    Seriously, contact this company and just make sure that the products are UL listed.

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/acce...controls.shtml
    Awesome. I will contact them tomorrow. Thanks for the link.

So looking at the link, what I really need is the heating outlet. That is an awesome product!

Thanks again!
    Last edited by v1rtu0s1ty; 12-22-2008 at 06:55 PM.

The thermostat contacts have to be able to handle a tungsten load. If you can't find one, you need to have the tstat control a relay that can handle a tungsten load.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    The thermostat contacts have to be able to handle a tungsten load. If you can't find one, you need to have the tstat control a relay that can handle a tungsten load.
    I will go out on a limb and say that any product which is designed to have a regular AC plug plugged in to it will be adequate for a 100 watt flood bulb. But of course, I am sure the manufacturer can provide a detailed spec sheet to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I will go out on a limb and say that any product which is designed to have a regular AC plug plugged in to it will be adequate for a 100 watt flood bulb. But of course, I am sure the manufacturer can provide a detailed spec sheet to be sure.
    And I will be busy sawing off the limb you are on!

You're probably right. This is not some huge incandescent or motor load.