Plaster of paris

Users who are viewing this thread

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know an old plumber that did this if a toilet rocked or wobbled.

Code says to caulk around the bowl. I guess this is to stop sewer gasses from getting into the room. I personally think that's a bad idea because it just hides a leaking wax ring until the leak damages the floor. If you don't caulk, you'll see the leak as soon as it starts.

I've seen toilets set in thinset or tile grout on a tile floor instead of caulk. The toilet is then permanently part of the floor. Removal usually means breaking the toilet.

But leveling a toilet in plaster of paris has none of these problems. You can just put a dab in the four corners to stop wobble. It sets faster than grout or thinset. It's hard enough to do the job and the toilet isn't permanently stuck to the floor.

GBH

Reaction score
Code says to caulk around the bowl. I guess this is to stop sewer gasses from getting into the room. I personally think that's a bad idea because it just hides a leaking wax ring until the leak damages the floor. If you don't caulk, you'll see the leak as soon as it starts.

I certainly see the wisdom in this, but I have a big con for not putting in caulk... My son. Dude is 7 and routinely leaks down the side of the toilet. Without caulk, urine will seep under the bowl and ferment. So, with this in mind, what would be recommended? Caulk, or no caulk?

Last edited by a moderator:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it's an upstairs toilet, caulking around the base will also help prevent nasty water from pouring onto the ceiling below, in case of an overflow.

WallyGater

Reaction score
the plumber that set the toilet upstairs actually dumped plaster of Paris on the finished tile floor, then set the toilet on top of the plaster. I still had to caulk around it anyway. He said its the best way to set a toilet, and that's the old fashion way to do it. From the replies on this topic it sounds like no one ever heard of such a thing, and or never does this anymore.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Using grout would be the closest thing to plaster which I have never heard of but doesn't surprise me...One of the things that I do run into from time to time is plumbers putty used in place of a wax ring...not a good thing but from what I can tell was used by a few plumbers years back...

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can set the toilet in concrete, and it will be guaranteed not to wobble. But that's not a good plan either. I like to think about the next guy or gal who's gonna have to work on that toilet.

Craig99

Reaction score
When I added a bathroom in Cypress, CA, Inspector would not pass toilet until it was caulked. He said it was to prevent sewer gases. I just installed a Guinevere. The Unifit makes it real simple to make sure you get a nice seal without worrying about the toilet messing it up. Good rim wash and excellent flush so far.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have sewer gasses leaking from a toilet, it is because the wax seal is bad...you could cover it up with caulk around the toilet, but that wouldn't fix it...and, you might find the toilet in the room below after it rotted out the floor.

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have sewer gasses leaking from a toilet, it is because the wax seal is bad...you could cover it up with caulk around the toilet, but that wouldn't fix it...and, you might find the toilet in the room below after it rotted out the floor.

Exactly my point. In my opinion, caulking around the toilet base can hide a problem until real damage is done. I still think that the down side of caulking outweights the upside.

Craig99

Reaction score
How long are wax gaskets suppose to last? Do you guys replace them every 3,5,or 10 years or just wait till you have sewage smell or see water leaking?

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
A lot of people use the plaster of paris. I hear about it all the time but never used it myself. The toilet should not rock. The tile floor should be flat and level and then when you put the toilet it should not rock at all. If it rocks, then that means the floor is not level and flat.

Good point about the caulking not allowing water or spilled urine under the toilet. If the toilet leaks that caulk will probably bubble up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks