Gas Valve Solenoid

Users who are viewing this thread

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Anyone know the resistance, or current draw @ operating voltage, for a 28mV gas valve solenoid?
How 'bout the short circuit current for a 28 mV thermocouple?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Honeywell lists the specs for the Q340 as: open circuit voltage ~30mv; resistance .02 ohms. That would make the theoretical short circuit current 1.5 amps. I suspect the normal operating current is not in that range, as of course the load will not be zero ohms. If the load is in the range of even just a few ohms, that would give operating current in the range of 1 ma.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Honeywell lists the specs for the Q340 as: open circuit voltage ~30mv; resistance .02 ohms. That would make the theoretical short circuit current 1.5 amps. I suspect the normal operating current is not in that range, as of course the load will not be zero ohms. If the load is in the range of even just a few ohms, that would give operating current in the range of 1 ma.
So far, so good

I have this test from a Johnson Controls Tech. Btn

Open circuit mV for TC 20-28, 25 to 35
min load voltage 8 mV
open circuit min 4 mV due to reduced flame
main burner on in 4 seconds at 4 mV.

Now all I need is solenoid resistance to figure operating current, and then pass/fail specs for a solenoid tested independently of a TC.

Seems that some TCs which meet the 28mV open circuit spec still cannot open a good valve.

Last edited:

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com

if it's a 30mv open and could be 28mv under load then the current would be in the range of (2mv / .02 ohms) = 100mA

Since the standard seems to be based on a constant voltage source, the test should also use a constant voltage source.

Also keep in mind that it's better to measure values than have a pass/fail result since it takes a lot less samples to create standard deviation statistics.

If you are going to test a lot of valves... I would suggest making a low voltage power supply that you can vary during the test in order to measure the cut-in and the cut-out voltages. and also keep an eye on currents.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Thanks, folks. I'm looking into making a test circuit for gas valves using a small battery and probably a resistor or IC voltage regulator, so that the voltage/current is predictable and repeatable.
Seems some people like to test these valves with an AA battery.

I don't mess with gas; this is to help an HVAC guy with the electrical part of the test.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
t'couple

What is happening with the valve. I have never had a "good" valve that a "good" themocouple would not keep open. I have a Baso tester that I can vary the mv output to see when the solenoid drops out, and also the t'couple to see what its output is and how long it takes to fall to the dropout range when the pilot is extinguished.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I have a Baso tester that I can vary the mv output to see when the solenoid drops out, and also the t'couple to see what its output is and how long it takes to fall to the dropout range when the pilot is extinguished.
You have a link to your tester?
Do you know how much current a 28mV valve takes, or its DC resistance? The guy I'm helping wants to know if he can use an AA battery to test it, and if I can find these values I'll be in a good position to say.
Is there any way a bad or shorted valve solenoid can damage a good thermocouple?

Gdog

write diagnostic firmware for embedded industrial
Reaction score
What is the specific part number for the valve and TC you want to test? Is the data sheet online? If so, please point us to it.

Why are you testing these components? To determine if it's bad onsite, or is this for some kind warranty validation check, or something else...?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I found a Robertshaw reference on thermopile operated valves (750mv) and it indicates the resistance of the valve coil at about 11 ohms. A 30mv valve would likely be different.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks